Firestik antenna wiring. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Firestik antenna wiring.

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Firestik antenna wiring.

explain this wire to me

the red one. Ground wire? required/not required. I ordered this (firestik with mount/coax cable from right channel radio) kit and it didn't come with it so that is why i'm asking.

Unread 05-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Best is to have the mount directly grounded to the body via metal to metal contact. The resistance between the mount to the body needs to be 2 ohms or lower.

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Te...Continuity.htm
http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

******* file size limit. Get your **** together jf. I'm not going to photo bucket and resize every picture!

As you can tell by the above rant, I can't upload a photo of where I decided to mount. Basically right above the rear tail light on driver side where the 4x4 is painted. Because of that emergency release for the gas cover I have access all the way through the body without pulling plastic. Remove the tail light and I'm going to drill a hole there to feed the coax through then put the tail light back so it looks nice and clean..

Yes I will and have been taking pictures and will put them in my build thread, but it will be mounted directly to the body.
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
UtahCJGirl
1977 CJ7 

I don't think the ground wire is technically required, because the ground back to the radio is in the cable shield. However, I think the more grounds the better. Another thought, looking at the picture, it looks like the rail that your mounting to is anodized, which would be a poor conductor, so the ground wire is added insurance.
UtahCJGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

not my vehicle haha. just the stock picture from the website. thank you
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Read the TECH and FAQ sections at www.FireStik.com. See the info on correctly choosing and installing an antenna bracket. Check your bracket install for CONTINUITY. The bracket is required to have a solid connection to the body of the vehicle.

If the installed correctly, the antenna bracket will not need any additional ground connection. BTW if it does, use 8-10 ga cable or better yet a braided ground strap.

For proper performance the mount must be grounded. It should be a standard part of the installation procedure to verify that the mount is grounded. It is an easy test to perform with either a VOM meter set in the Resistance (Ohms) mode or in the audible diode testing mode. Another method of checking is with a self-powered continuity tester. These test need to be made with the coax disconnected from the antenna mount or the radio. If the coax is fully connected and the radio is grounded you will get the false sense that you have a sufficient ground at the mount. Grounding the mount via the coax cable to the radio is not good enough. It requires a direct ground. Either the mount has a good direct chassis ground or it is grounded via the object it is mounted to.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up running a direct ground down underneath the jeep. No way it will ever lose connection from being grounded now lol. Thanks for everyones help.
Unread 05-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Again, you want the antenna mount to be electrically connected to the body.
After that test and adjust your SWR so you have the best transmission capable.
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
aTX427
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNinPA View Post
Again, you want the antenna mount to be electrically connected to the body.
After that test and adjust your SWR so you have the best transmission capable.
Can you define that statement and provide a little more detail on how to best tune the swr? After reading different articles, they seem to give different advice. Some say to tune the length of the antenna until ch.1 and ch.40 have the same swr, others say to tune for ch.20.
aTX427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTX427 View Post

Can you define that statement and provide a little more detail on how to best tune the swr? After reading different articles, they seem to give different advice. Some say to tune the length of the antenna until ch.1 and ch.40 have the same swr, others say to tune for ch.20.
Tuning for channel 20 is the lazy way. Do 1-40 trying to get them the same or very very close
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
aTX427
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
Tuning for channel 20 is the lazy way. Do 1-40 trying to get them the same or very very close
I spent the time to tune it for ch.1 and ch.40, but the best I could get is 1.8-1.9, which doesn't seen that great.
aTX427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
If you tune Ch 1 and 40 to be even, Ch 20 will be the lowest of all 40 channels. If you tune Ch 20 to be the lowest, Ch 1 and 40 will be nearly the same.

1.8 to 1 is acceptable.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #13
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you tune 1 and 40 to be equal and low, by default 20 will be at its lowest and lower Han 1 and 40. Each channel is a section of bandwidth used for CB communications. Tuning 1 and 40 to be equal and low puts the center as the resonant frequency.

Here is an article on how to: http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.