Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Final back up light questiion!

708 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  GIJOE 
#1 ·
Installed my KC back up lights/switch per instructions and everything is fine. They work independently or with factory back up lights in reverse. But now I have a dpdt rocker switch in my hand and was wondering - is there a way to wire it so I can have KC lights in reverse/ KC lights on manual/ KC lights off completely? The center of the dpdt is hot with accessories on each end. Can I wire one fused line from the battery to the center hot, with one side of the dpdt for the factory automatic reverse relay and the manual switch lead to the other so center position would be completely off, one side would work with the factory back up lights, and the other side would be manual??? :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall If you think I should leave well enough alone, I will do that too. Thanks. :wave:

#3 ·
Hey GIJOE is there any way that I could have you scan those directions and e-mail them to me? I have been looking for a way to wire my lights up so that I can use them without being in reverse. Like when launching my boat, I am not real sure if there is going to be any advantage to having them like this. With stick shift I can just throw it in reverse and have the parking brake on. So should I just leave it alone. Is it better to have the car in 1st gear or reverse when you are on a incline launching a booat or does it really matter at all. Thanks.

#5 ·
All you need is an DPDT "On / On" Switch.

Wire center terminals to the lights and one side terminal set to the fuse panel and the other side terminal set to the reverse switch on the trans.
With switch up the lights are on manual, with the switch down the lights will be on auto controlled by the stock reverse switch.

If the Bak-Up lights are 55 watts or more each then a relay should be used between the switch and the lights.
Wire the relay off of the center terminals of the switch, directly in line with the lights. The relay will control the power from the battery to the lights.
Fuse the wire from the battery to the relay and fuse the wire to the switch from the fuse panel.

Luck,

#6 ·
Thanks for all your help and info. Once the weather gets above freezing, I'll tear back into the lights. Hate to wreak something that works now while the temps are so cold, but once they warm up, watch out! Should be really easy to do. Hey OlllllllO Jeep 1, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy of the factory circuit. Thanks again!!! :wave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.