Few audio questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Few audio questions

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 01-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
NY JeeP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Few audio questions

I just got the 9856 alpine deck with the ipod cable. From my understanding it connects from the back of the unit. Where have you guys ran the wire to(to connect into the ipod) I've heard of the glove box, just would like to get feedback for ideas.

Also, biggest speakers for soundbar in 98 sahara would be 5.25 or 6.5 w/o modification?

I'm gonna make brackets for the front to fit the 5.25 speakers. Still up in the air about throwing in a sub. If I do I'm leaning towards putting it in the rear seat. Feedback on that would be great if anyone has done it.

Lastly any good speakers out there that doesn't require an amp? Obviously anything is better than stock at this point. Thanks in advance

NY JeeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
PJL
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1) I ran my mp3 player wire down behind the glove box and then fed the wire underneath the edge of the center console. I keep the player in a cup holder.

2) Yes, many 6.5s will fit without modification. The only problem you may run into is mounting depth.

3) Check out www.sirgcal.com He built a 2 sub box and a 3 sub box in the back seats of 2 different Jeeps. I don't run a sub myself, but I've heard from many around here that a down-firing sub is the best way to go in a Jeep.

4) If you don't want to go with an amp, get the lowest RMS wattage speakers you can, but don't expect an appreciable improvement over stock. I ran Alpine S series 5 1/4" speakers for a time with no amp, and now I'm running them and Alpine R series 6 1/2" with a 4x40 watt amp. It'll also help your sound if you stuff the soundbar with 100% polyester pillow stuffing or some other type of polyfil.
PJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
bheiser
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY JeeP
I just got the 9856 alpine deck with the ipod cable. From my understanding it connects from the back of the unit. Where have you guys ran the wire to(to connect into the ipod) I've heard of the glove box, just would like to get feedback for ideas...
I recently installed the 9857 with the iPod cable. The HU is installed in the Tuffy overhead console. I have an iPod Nano which I have in a protective rubbery case.

My original thinking was that I'd put velcro on the back of the iPod case, and stick it to the side of the overhead console. However I haven't found a cement that will actually stick to the rubbery iPod case to hold the velcro!!!

Also, I realized in practical use, it'd be a pain to have to constantly unplug and move the iPod every time I park (to avoid theft). So my current thinking is (when I have time to take apart the overhead console) I'll re-route the cable through the inside of the console, and find a way to sit the iPod inside the console - probably on top of the HU. That way, it can stay attached when I park, and will be locked up along with the HU

I guess if you have a Tuffy glove box, that'd work well too.
bheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
mylt1

35w rms max is what you want there are some 30w rms speakers out there but you have to look. they WILL make a vast improvement over the stock setup. again watch your rms numbers and you should be fine. i would stick with 5.25's all the way around just so you can keep the numbers inline with everything.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.