Faulty Stereo install creates problems, help needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Faulty Stereo install creates problems, help needed

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
epug88
2000 FSJ Cherokee 

Faulty Stereo install creates problems, help needed

I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport and I'm trying to install a new stereo head unit. The Jeep had a previous owner that replaced the stock setup with a CD player. I disconnected the old one and installed the new head unit by connecting the matching wires. After making the switch I now have a power problem. The interior dome lights, power locks, all my gauges (gas, odometer, speedometer etc.), and the stereo are all now not working. I checked the fuses in the kick box on the passenger side and they all seemed to be fine. Anybody have any ideas on what may have occurred during the installation to trigger this problem? Or just any other help or explanations about installing could point me in the right direction.

epug88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
blainsminigun

I am having the exact same issue right now caused by an issue with the install of headunit equipment. All my fuses look good, my gauges, odo, head unit, dome light don't work, key fob won't unlock/lock the doors but the locks work manually inside. But all the exterior lights work properly (headlights hi/low, blinkers, breaks) inside lights for the IP come on, warning lights come on in initial key turn as normal, but no odo. Any help would be appreciated!
blainsminigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
lostissues
1987 MJ Comanche 

probably something with the dimmer wire in the stereo harness. check fuses, (pull and inspect them replace if you have any doubt) check under hood fuses also. recheck wiring, you may have hooked up a dimmer wire to the illumination wire or something like that.

2000 Cherokee
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1214.html
lostissues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
mylt1

undo all your wiring and buy a reverse harness and the correct adapter harness. wire the reverse harness to the wires that were cut in the jeep and connect the adapter harness to the harness that came with the radio. wiring color from factory to aftermarket doesnt match up so that is part of your problem.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Always disconnect the negative terminal from the battery when working on any electronics in your vehicle.

It sounds like both of you shorted a wire when attempting your installs.

Check the fuses in the PDC (power distribution center) under the hood. Chances are, that's where the blown fuse is.

Any unused wires should be capped off & taped, cut clean & taped, or you can even use a paper clip to remove the unused lead from the harness. There should be no exposed wires that could ground out and cause a short.

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Damn! I must be really slow typing replies on my Droid X! There were no replies when I logged in from my phone.

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
blainsminigun

Hey guys thanks for your posts, I did manage to fix the issue. It was as simple as a blown fuse, I was hearing stories that were pretty scary from ppl I talked to who work on headunits about fried internal vehicle equipment. It was just a fuse in the PDC I had missed, it was the little blue 15amp fuse in the IOD slot in the front. everything that wasn't working, is now working. So I hope that is the same issue you're having man.
blainsminigun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics , power loss , stereo , wiring

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.