factory subwoofer help please!!!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > factory subwoofer help please!!!!!!!

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for Jeeps~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 03-27-2005, 09:22 AM   #1
wrangler8

factory subwoofer help please!!!!!!!

i just bought an 04 X that didnt come with the factory subwoofer in the center console....i bought one on ebay to install ...i dont have the wiring harness to install it...i went to jeep and you can not buy them seprate they only come with the subwoofer...the guy i bought it from wont send me the wiring harness cause i think hes too lazy to take apart his dash and pull it out... so now i have a subwoofer i cant install ..does anyone have a wiring harness i can buy or no where i can get one???? anyone help would be great thank you russ

wrangler8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2005, 01:00 PM   #2
Rick3401

Hope someone responds...I did the same thing. Bought on ebay and no harness. I've been scouring the web for 3 weeks looking for info. Let me know if you come up with anything.
[COLOR=yellow]01 Solar Yellow Sport, 4.0, 5spd. 31x10.5x15. 3.07 Club member #22 [/COLOR]
Rick3401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2005, 04:44 PM   #3
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

not sure where you can get the harness...

but, I'll tell you from experience, that the sub and amp aren't worth much...

however, it's a neat setup, and there are a couple 6.5" subs out there that you could replace it with, along with a small 2-channel amp you could bridge...

I have a Rockford Fosgate in mine...but the JL Audio 6W0 is another nice option:

the RF:

the JL:

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2005, 08:19 PM   #4
Fcal

Have to agree that the factory amp isn't worth it's weight in crap. Chuck it and get yourself a seperate amp. I have a 6 1/2 JL in a Tuffy console(might upgrade to the 8"). I modified the original woofer box to mount in the Tuffy console and stuffed the console with polyfill. You could probably buy an amp for what you're going to pay for that harness. The problem I have now is trying to get 6 1/2 alpines into the sound pods.
Fcal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2005, 12:40 PM   #5
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You have one other problem other than the harness. The stock radios all use the Chrysler "cabin equalization feature". This means that the factory loads the option list the TJ was built with into the EMIC (instrument cluster). This includes whether the original was a 4-speaker (no sub) or 7-speaker (with sub) setup. The stock radios will not output any bass below 120Hz with the 4-speaker option. To fix this you will have to pay the Jeep dealership to change the radio/speaker option using a DRB scan tool (about $100).

The cabin equalization feature pretty much makes it uneconomic to add any form of subwoofer without upgrading the head unit. It does not preclude upgrading a stock sub with a better one, provided the sub option is already enabled.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2005, 08:00 PM   #6
Skatchkins

Fellow shipmate

Hey, I'm in your boat. Got the install done except for the wiring. Found a post on this board about how to go about it: here

So it looks like it's just a matter of wiring it yourself and harness be darned.

I was at the dealer today inquiring about it and they were no help. What I heard him say was that the harness is part if the total Jeep wiring kit which would almost lead me to believe maybe, just maybe that harness is tucked away up in the dash somewhere? In just about every vehicle you play peek under the dash with, you can see multiple harnesses that aren't being used at all. Shot in the dark, but I might take that peek.

www.HigherGround4x4.com
Skatchkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2005, 12:11 AM   #7
okiem3
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Skatch...you've got email. I did end up wiring it myself. Not sure if I got them all correct, but it plays some bass. Try www.installdr.com They have some wiring diagrams that should help. Find a local independent stereo shop (not Best Buy, etc). If you sweet talk them, they can print you out a wiring schematic for your exact vehicle's stereo....they all have access to that info.
For those saying that these subs suck...I agree... to a point. There is no doubt that you could have lots better sound, but for what I, and many others want, it is fine. Mine had no sub at all. When I added an ebay OEM sub (for cheap), it was like switching from AM radio to good FM radio. I'll keep my good stereo in my M3. For my Jeep which is noisy as hell, this is fine. Plus I don't have to worry about theft with the top off all night at a bar.
okiem3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2005, 11:09 AM   #8
Skatchkins

Hmmm...that site didn't have sub info, but I still bookmarked it as a good resource. I tore into my other friend's Jeep last night (it's amazing what people will let you do if you just don't ask). He's got the sub already installed from the dealer. I traced those wires around forever. Black/Pink to Yellow to LTGreen to Black/Red.............. I'll never understand the process that went into mixing up the wiring colors.
But now that I have some of the info, I'll take that knowledge to the install Jeep and see what it's missing and try to fill in the holes.
Now regardless of what some out there would say, the stock sub/amp my friend has (that is undoubtably run correctly) plays its heart out and gets down to business. I wouldn't want anything else out of it. So that's something to strive for and compare to.
I'd imagine b/c the wiring is such a complicated process, they'd want to keep it as simple as possible to install one for a lot buyer if they wanted the upgrade option. So I still can't rule out the possiblity that some of those unused wires are lying up in there waiting to be freed.
Only one way to find out.
Oh, and I saw on ebay right now some Shmuck is selling the plans on how to install a stock sub if you didn't have one already.
Unread 03-30-2005, 12:10 AM   #9
Skatchkins

Shweet, I think I got it all figured out. In fact, I know i do!

It's still all taken apart, ghetto rigged to the lighter and some random grounded bolt. I just twisted the spkr wires together to test it all and I got bass, so I'll do it up right tomorrow. I'll snap some pics and stuff so you can see the install and final result.
Unread 03-31-2005, 03:30 AM   #10
Skatchkins

Done

K, I got it done, and it sounds as good as my friend's Sahara that had it installed at the factory. Best $37 I ever spent

Did a write up for the heck of it: HERE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.