Expert Audiophiles???(SirGCal)??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Expert Audiophiles???(SirGCal)???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-27-2004, 08:08 AM   #1
Jailor

Expert Audiophiles???(SirGCal)???

Please bare with me here as I am trying to establish a sound system very similar, if not exactly like, SirGCals’s awesome setup (if you read this SiRGCal, any advice would be greatly appreciated). I have purchased the same exact speakers as SirGCal with exception of the subwoofers. Instead of using three 6” subs I am using two 8”. Specifically, they are two JL Audio model # 8W3V2-D4. I got these at an awesome price on ebay and I know that from previous posts that SirGCal suggested that his custom box could accommodate two 8” subs as well. I also purchased the same exact speakers that SirGCal used to upgrade the speakers in the dash and in the sound bar. They are the Alpine SP 130 and 170. Now, here comes the annoying part as I have several questions that I’m sure many of you experienced audiophiles have already answered before.

1.) The mounting depth of the subs is 4.31”, which means that the current dimension of SirGCal’s sub box would not work. I downloaded SirGCal’s volume calculator but I’m having a heck of a time trying to figure out what dimensions would accommodate these speakers. I’m concerned about being able to secure the box to the seat frame using angle iron. I keep coming up with one side that is too far away from the frame to use angle iron. Any suggestions for dimensions that would work? I know that each speaker requires .375 cubic feet for an enclosed box.

2.) My second question pertains to the actual wiring for the two way speakers. I think I know how to wire the subs off of the amp. But, I’m a little confused on how to wire the speakers in the dash and in the sound bar using the factory wiring and two way speakers.

3.) Lastly, what gauge wire should I use for the subs and should I upgrade the factory wiring for the speakers in the dash and in the sound bar. If I should upgrade the wiring what gauge would you recommend?

By the way, I'm waiting for my new Alpine MRD 300 amp to be delivered from ebay and I plan on purchasing an Alpine CDA-9825 head unit in the near future.

Thanks in advance!!!

Jailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2004, 08:41 AM   #2
SirGCal

1. Do not change the outside dimensions of the length and width of the box. For more room, just add depth to it. You could go about another inch or so. I was thinking more along the lines of two 8W0's for the box but I think, if you add a few braces inside for added rigidity ad make the box big eough, you could stuff some 8W3v2s in there..

I'm pretty sure the 8W3v2 dos not cool the voice coil form the rear so 4.4" should be all you need for depth. So if you make a few extra internal braces for added rigidity and make the angled side and center pieces 4" at the large side and slope down to 2" on the small side, you sould be ok. That would give you 4.625" mounting depth and (if I did my quick math correctly) 0.7855 ft^3 total. Those subs sweet spot is around 0.330 ft^3 each and the subs eat 0.035 ft^3 each so 0.0365 ft^3 total volume each or 0.73 ft^3 total. You could even make the box a hair shorter and still get away with it but this slight overage will simply make a deeper tone. (just don't use poly fill with this slightly larger box... at least to start out...)

2. Two-way speakers like you purchased only have one speaker wire connection. Just connect them as normal. However, the fact that you got two D4 subs (means 4-ohm coil) also means you'll only be able to connect them together as a 16-ohm, 4-ohm, or 1-ohm load. So look for an amp that puts out 250W x1 @ 4-ohms to get the most out of them. (NOTE: typed that before I read the bottom of your post...) The MRD-M300 will put out about 150W at that rating making the subs slightly under-powered, yet it should still sound pretty good. The MRD-M300 is a strong and clean amp.

I'm sure you've seen my DVC wiring diagram before which is exactly how you need to do the subs for best effect. But just incase, here it is again (link only). DVC Wiring Diagram

3. 12 AWG speaker wire for the subs is plenty for that power rating. 14 AWG would even be sufficient. For the speakers, assuming you're running those off the deck, just use the factory wiring. It's enough to carry the low power levels of head unit amplifiers. If you move up to external amplification and new speakers, then think of good quality 16 AWG or larger wires for there.

4. Also: The CDA-9825 is a solid head unit, but if your in the market, look for an old CDA-9813 or 9815 or current CDA-9833 or 9835. They have a better internal amp (actually require a master power wire similar to an amp, 10 AWG from the battery) and alot more sound customizatoin. The 9813/15 should be cheap if you can find it because it's an '03 model year. Just something to think about since you havn't dropped the dime yet.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2004, 09:09 AM   #3
Jailor

I totally appreciate the info. I will take your advice about the box and about the head units. However, what different amp would you recommend for absolute best bass using the above mentioned subs. I can always resell the amp on ebay as I don't think I will have everything done much before the spring.
Unread 09-27-2004, 01:31 PM   #4
SirGCal

Tha Alpine would work pretty well. but if you want to push em to the limit, any 250Wx1 @ 4-ohms amp would work. One nice thing about only needing a 4-ohm load is 2-channel amps come into play. The downside is you have to buy more amp that you would running 2-ohms. Not too big of a deal though...

some ideal examples would be:

(about all of the perfect matches crutchfield has)
  • Sony XM-2100GTX
  • Sony XM-D500X
  • Phoenix Gold Octane-R 4.0:2

But don't think the Alpine will be too wimpy. It will obviously be under-powered compared to these but it will still kick pretty well.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2004, 02:14 PM   #5
Jailor

Sounds good. I think I'll atleast hook the mrd 300 up just to get an idea how it sounds. Like I said, this will probably be a slow going process during the winter. Thanks again for the info and I apologize for the future questions that I'm sure I'll be askinh ya
Unread 09-27-2004, 02:16 PM   #6
Jailor

Disregard this as I must have submitted the reply post twice and now have edited it so that I don't look silly

Last edited by Jailor; 09-27-2004 at 03:16 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.