Every audio problem I can imagine. Need some help.(pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Every audio problem I can imagine. Need some help.(pics)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
stpeteTJ

Every audio problem I can imagine. Need some help.(pics)

Allright, so I'll list the problems by order of importance.

1) The Polk audio 5-1/4 component system I bought indeed came with 5-1/4 speakers, but somehow they're too big for my 5-1/4 speaker bar. I don't know how to fix it other than make the hole bigger, and I don't really know how to make the hole bigger.
Photo:

2) Came with tweeters, even though they're supposed to be 2-way speakers. Where the hell am I gunna put these tweeters? I guess I could make a hole? But I'm not equipped for that either.
Photo:

3) Splitter won't fit in speaker bar. I know I can just put the splitter under the dash and run the wire to the speakers, but from what I was told the further away you put the splitter the less performance you get.
Photo:

4) New head unit's wiring harness doesn't match OEM harness. I was told to cut my OEM harness in half? I don't really understand that. I s'pose I could just we-wire everything?
Photos:

stpeteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Reverb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

With regards to the plugs - you can get an adapter at your local auto parts store - advance auto or pep boys carry them around here.
As for the rest you're either going to have to return them and get ones that fit or like you say cut the holes bigger. If they are decent speakers I'd be buying a saw about now.
Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
stpeteTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
With regards to the plugs - you can get an adapter at your local auto parts store - advance auto or pep boys carry them around here.
As for the rest you're either going to have to return them and get ones that fit or like you say cut the holes bigger. If they are decent speakers I'd be buying a saw about now.
They're pretty nice speakers, and if I sold these I'd just be buying the same thing in a smaller size.

What saw do you figure I could get to make this work? I dunno how to cut a round whole in steel short of a drill. Figure a jig saw with a steel-cutting blade would work?
Unread 11-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

that fact that you dont know what the cross over is called, that there are adapter harness or that a 2way speaker set means a mid woofer and a tweeter, eather in a coaxial or componet forum means your should pay some one to do it, or hit up some car audio sites on the net
XJ Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteTJ View Post
They're pretty nice speakers, and if I sold these I'd just be buying the same thing in a smaller size.

What saw do you figure I could get to make this work? I dunno how to cut a round whole in steel short of a drill. Figure a jig saw with a steel-cutting blade would work?
jig saw and the steel cutting blade for the win, now figure out the other pieces of the puzzle
Unread 11-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
stpeteTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Jay View Post
that fact that you dont know what the cross over is called, that there are adapter harness or that a 2way speaker set means a mid woofer and a tweeter, eather in a coaxial or componet forum means your should pay some one to do it, or hit up some car audio sites on the net
Very true. I was given the impression that this would be a plug-and-play kinda thing, I would've taken it to a local shop had I known it would be this complicated.

I would now, but now that I'm in the middle of it, I really wanna do it myself. I wouldn't learn anything if I pay someone to do it, and it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying.

Quote:
jig saw and the steel cutting blade for the win, now figure out the other pieces of the puzzle
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, I have a sawzall but not a jig saw, I'm gunna go poke around at sears tomorrow.
Unread 11-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
mylt1

any car audio shop or even walmart should have the adapter.it will either have the wiring instructions in the package or on the package. all you do is wire the radios harness to the adapter then its just plug and play. as far as cutting the hole, a sawzall will leave you with nothing but a huge mess and probably screw it up so much that the speakers still wont fit. get a jig saw, its easier to control and will leave a better cut with the correct blade.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

yeah dont use the sawzal, get a jig saw. i had to jig saw out my doors to get my 6 1/2 compo set to fit where the factory 5 1/4 was
Unread 11-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel when I fit the 6.5's in my door. By the way, which headunit are you using?
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #10
stpeteTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1 View Post
any car audio shop or even walmart should have the adapter.it will either have the wiring instructions in the package or on the package. all you do is wire the radios harness to the adapter then its just plug and play. as far as cutting the hole, a sawzall will leave you with nothing but a huge mess and probably screw it up so much that the speakers still wont fit. get a jig saw, its easier to control and will leave a better cut with the correct blade.
Allright, I'll go and pick the adapter and a jig saw tomorrow.
Quote:
yeah dont use the sawzal, get a jig saw. i had to jig saw out my doors to get my 6 1/2 compo set to fit where the factory 5 1/4 was
Good to know someone else has already done this with good results, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel when I fit the 6.5's in my door. By the way, which headunit are you using?
I have a dremel, but it's an itty bitty cordless one, I don't know that it'd have the power needed.

The head unit I bought is a Fusion CA-IP500

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.