Electrical problems with headlights/radio. Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Electrical problems with headlights/radio. Help

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 04-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
txasylum
1989 FSJ Cherokee 

Electrical problems with headlights/radio. Help

Here is my problem.

I turn on my headlights. My high beam light is on. If I switch the high beams to off, nothing happens. You can see a very slight dim in the high beam light, but you have to really watch to see this. As for the headlights, the passenger light is on, but I don't think it is as bright as it should be. The driver side is not working. I played with the fuse box last night and I fixed the problem, but it did not last long and I can not duplicate what I did. In addition to this problem, my radio works fine until I turn on the ignition. When I turn on the ignition I get nothing but static. So I don't know if I have a problem with the light switch, the low/high beam switch, the ignition switch, a ground? I have been messing with this for a few hours and haven't gotten anywhere.

Suggestions please!

Oh, it is a 1989 Cherokee XJ.

Thanks
Bob

txasylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
SirGCal

you probably are looking at a bad connection. I'd start testing wires, especially around the fuse box where you said that you got it working briefly. That's probably where the malfunction is.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.