Electrical problems with 98 JGC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Electrical problems with 98 JGC

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
dhannan06
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Electrical problems with 98 JGC

Hey there,

Just bought a used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSI 4.0L with in-line 6. As with most any used cars, I have found a few "quirks" and need some help.
1) The reverse lights are not working. I have replaced both bulbs, checked all fuses, and cleaned all plugs underneath. Short of replacing the NSS I don't know what else to do. The Jeep does not start unless it is in park so that means the NSS is at least working right?

2) The ABS light came on today. The mechanic I bought it from just put in all new breaks and did an oil change and topped fluids the day I bought it. The parking break is not engaged. It was on then went off then came back on all in two days.
Related to that (thinking this may be an electrical issue), my right front blinker was out (the blinker went really fast) so I replaced the bulbs and they all work fine, but now the blinker just goes haywire (it goes fast then slow then fast).
My battery died the other day completely after being parked in my driveway for a full day (no lights left on or anything). I charged it fully with our battery charger and it said it was good and I haven't had any other problems with it.
When I first got the jeep it had an aftermarket stereo in it, which had power to it but no sound. It has an infinity sound speaker system in it and I hear those can be a pain to put aftermarket stuff to if you don't know what you are doing. I ended up just disconnecting all the wires for now until I can afford to have a pro rewire it.

Anyway, long story short I think there is an electrical problem going on, like a short or something, but this is the first jeep I have ever owned and I NEED HELP!!

dhannan06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Any warranty with this recent purchase? Take it back and let them fix all he bugs.
Have them check their brake job. Likely they didn't hook something back up or the system wasn't blead properly.
The blinker is likely a bad ground or socket issue.
The battery dying could be a bad battery or that aftermarket radio wasn't hooked up properly and is shorting or constantly drawing power. Here you may want to check a few things like battery voltage engine off and on. Lean and inspect cables connections and all grounds. Load test battery and alternator...

Tags
battery , electrical , reverse lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.