electrical problem with headlights and cd player - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > electrical problem with headlights and cd player

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 07-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
VMI Jeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

electrical problem with headlights and cd player

I have an '87 YJ. A few days ago I had my bikini top on and my Jeep got pourned on pretty bad during a thunder storm. I drove it home and everything worked fine. As I was going to leave a few hours later, the cd player was getting no power, and the headlights and brakelights would not work. I checked the fuse box but couldn't find the fuses for either. I am also in the process of moving and can't find my Haynes manual to help figure out the problem. I'm thinking it could be maxi-fuses but don't know much about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

VMI Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
alexherb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Most likely it is a fuse. If you dont have access to a digital multimeter or a test light you can check them the hard way. Pull them one at a time and look to see if they are blown. When i get home tonight ill check the Haynes and see if i can narrow it down for ya. If you take it to a stereo shop like circuit city they would be able to check them and i doubt they would charge you but if they do itll only be maybe 20 bucks.
alexherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
VMI Jeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've checked every fuse (the hard way) and all of them are fine. I took it to an auto parts store and they are telling me that it is the light switch. I could understand that this might explain the headlights, brakelights and dash lights but I don't understand how the CD player is out too. I'm starting to think it is a wiring problem which means that I am going to be in for some fun times checking every wire.
Unread 07-03-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
VMI Jeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I fixed the problem earlier today. It turns out it was a burnt wire that was going to the relay. Took me about 5 minutes to fix. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.