Electrical Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Electrical Problem

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
tulzscha
2004 WJ 

Electrical Problem

A few weeks ago I purchased a 2004 GC. Last sunday I installed a Pioneer deck with an Axxess Steering Wheel Control module. Everything was fine until tuesday after work. I started the jeep, but all the instruments zeroed out and all warning lights came on. I found some info from another site that it could be the door modules are faulty, but also found that the ground wire could cause the problem. I played around with the ground and it seemed to work. The same thing happened wednesday after work, and playing with the ground fixed it again. I then pulled the codes using the 3 key turns. 3 codes poped up: p1698, p1687, and p1686.
Today after work, the same thing happened, but even after the gauges went to normal, the windows didnt work. The same 3 codes showed up again. I then disconnected the neg battery for about 2 minutes and reconnected. That fixed the window problem.
Could it possibly be the ground wire on the passenger side from the engine to the modules causing the problem, or the aftermarket radio is to blame?

tulzscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
tulzscha
2004 WJ 

It's Friday morning. I just pulled into work and all the gauges zeroed out again and all trouble lights are on again.
Unread 10-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
THEDUSTCLOUD
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Had a similar issue with my 2004 TJ. The P1698 basically means there's no communication between the TCM (Tranny Control Module) and your Engine Control Module (ECM) which an initial diagnoses would point to faulty TCM or loss of power to the TCM Bus (Plugin on the module). Since there is similarity between this code and the other 2 codes you are getting which is a loss of power from the SKIM buss (which I believe stands for Smart Key Immobilizer) for your ignition key and the other is loss of power to your cluster buss for your dash, I believe you there isn't a problem with your steering control mod, but rather a problem in the wiring for your head unit you installed. I would double check the wiring. You say you played around with the ground and it went away? Which ground wire is this? Head Unit Ground?

This is what I would do in order of how I'd do it:
1) If this is the head unit ground I would first check and make sure it is in fact a ground (I'm not doubting your knowledge of it). You can do this by getting a multimeter or test light and checking from the wire to ground and see if you have any voltage and be sure you have your key switch in the ON position when checking this, bad thing about this is that if the wire is how and you don't get voltage then it doesn't mean it didn't at one time and it may have already shorted killing power to it, check all your fuses and insure they are good.
*If you do have voltage then this is your problem, this would be a direct short causing all your problems and could possibly be your switched wire, or your memory wire for your head unit which are the only two wires that should have power going to your head unit with the exception of the possibility you have a factory amp which is possible and in this case you have 3. Typically if I recall the "memory wire is red" and the "switched wire is yellow" (possibly vice versa) on Chrysler vehicles and ground is black, unless the GC's are different from the dakota, xjs, and tjs I've had where all were the same.

2) If it doesn't have power and you checked the fuses and is in fact a ground wire then I would put a multimeter on it and Ohm the wire to a clean ground and insure that it is reading 0 ohms or gives you a continuity buzz on the meter.
*If it doesn't read 0 ohms (or very little like 0.2 ohms) then you have a broken ground which could also be a problem which would explain all the codes you have. This won't necessarily mean this wire is physically broken (which it can be) itself because it may tie into a bundle of grounds that ground all the other components like your Cluster, TCM, and Skim to the chassis. So in other words you have a chassis ground broke or loose one on your frame/body which can be anywhere on your vehicle, including the firewall. So you would have to check all those.

3) If the above two check out then your going to have to dig deeper. Before you dig deeper I would first check every single fuse in the interior fuse panel and the engine bay fuse panel to ensure that none of the fuses for the TCM, Cluster or Skim are blown which will also account for your loss of communication between all your buses. This all may sound confusing but all your looking for is that all your modules have power and are grounded in the simplest of terms. So check all your fuses.

If you have to go deeper than this by checking buss voltage and such, just let me know and I can tell you more on how to track this down.
For you to have gotten all these codes at once leads me to believe that it is for sure a ground or a fuse. If it is a fuse then it blew for a reason, but whatever the reason, replace it and if it blows immediately then the ground wire is a hot wire or another hot wire is shorted if it doesn't then problem solved, don't lose sleep. lol.

Post back as you go.
THEDUSTCLOUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
tulzscha
2004 WJ 

Thanks for the info. I called Axxess Tech Support about their steering wheel module. Turns out the wire that spliced into the PCI bus wire wasn't making proper contact. I was using those blue spade splicers to hook it up. I disconnected the module and everything went back to normal.
Unread 10-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
THEDUSTCLOUD
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Holy crap, that is powered from the PCI bus? Wish I had known that. That would have been the first place I would have told you to look. That's your entire communication between modules and explains the complete loss of comm. Make sure that thing has an inline fuse. If that thing shorts then you will be in the boat I was in and going to the dealer to give them your leg for a TCM after it fries. Glad you got it though.
THEDUSTCLOUD is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.