Electrical issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Electrical issue?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 03-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
PCRIDE
2004 XJ Cherokee 

Electrical issue?

He other day I left work, tried starting the jeep and nothing ... No power, lights nothing. Like the battery was pulled out. This happened a while back and magically it just worked after waiting 10 min. Today it would start, the gauges were flickering and I could here the relay switches bouncing. As soon as I pressed the break everything lit up, internal lights came back on and it started right up. Before when I finally got it started after work, as soon as I hit the gas it died, it was almost like it was running on 3 cylinders, it finally started and I drive home.

History
Long ago (3years)I borrowed my friends trailer, he wired up the end wrong and it shorted out the body harness module, the dealer fixed it at 2200$ Do you think this could be a short in the electrical?
I have the alternator and battery tested and they are fine. Please see the video of the electrical gauges freaking out.

PCRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Anything new recently? Any other problems besides the electrical? Look for the threads here about grounds and start checking grounds. Check your battery terminals.
Unread 03-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
SirGCal

Yup, check all parts of the battery terminals.. Contacts at the battery, and at the fuseblock and frame. That's my first point of diagnostic. Make SURE it's all tight, clean and the wire isn't hard/stiff/etc. If those check out, move backwards into the rest of the system starting with system grounds throughout.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
PCRIDE
2004 XJ Cherokee 

yea no changes, this only happens like once every few months. THis is the 3rd time in 6 months.

I did notice the battery terminal looks burnt where it connects to the battery connector, but on the wire. I am wondering if the red battery connector is bad, however when I took the terminal off and put it back on, it didn't change anything. It started when I pressed the break in while the key was turned 1 click. I am guessing its something in the wiring at the body control module or fuses.

Can someone tell me the main places to look? There are so many blocks of wiring I am not sure what I am looking at nor what it does.

So far I have seen
Fuse box under the steering wheel
fuse box under the hood by the battery
electrical panel on the firewall under the hood with a bunch of connections

If I trace the red battery wire, I presume that connects to all these electronics, something is loose I bet....
Unread 03-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
PCRIDE
2004 XJ Cherokee 

The other thing, there hasn't been any rain that could have gotten wet, nor did I take it wheeling or anything out of the norm....

very weird...

Thanks for all the help, keep posting if you have any other ideas!!!

PCRIDE
Unread 03-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

As mentioned check connections and grounds. Look at the wires sometimes they corrode from the connector up the wire. The grounds there are two sides to them at the battery and at the tub at the engine and tub to frame. Clean and sand both to a shine the wire end and where it's connected. It is likely you have a bad ground.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.