Electrical gremlins...running lights and instrument cluster - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Electrical gremlins...running lights and instrument cluster

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 11-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
zschu001
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Electrical gremlins...running lights and instrument cluster

I'm at a loss here folks...took my '06 Wrangler to the dealership today. My running lights have not been working since I got the car about a month ago. When I step on the brakes, those work fine, as does my license plate lamp. In addition, my instrument panel is not lighting up. The odometer and other signals such as the e-brake and seat belt lights come on, but no lights behind the gauges. ??????? Dealer said it's some type of dead short related to the lights I put on after I bought it from them (spots, foggers, and a reverse light). Since all of those lights work just fine and the running lights haven't worked since I bought it...I think they're trying to worm their way out of it. I've tried to do a little research on here and have come across some posts about the running lights and instrument panel being connected somehow...any ideas what could be going on? Thanks for any input

zschu001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
adamsobi
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem. I never did find a short, but mine went away last week and hasn't come back since. I did try and wiggle every wire I could find related to lights. Have you replaced the fuse yet? I think its in slot 1 behind the dash. It's a 20A fuse. If you find a short somewhere post it up. And ill do the same if anything changes on my end.
Unread 11-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
zschu001
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've replaced all fuses related to lighting just as a precaution, no change. I've checked all of my grounds, nothing. I've traced the wires to see if there could be a ground to hot short somewhere, nothing (plus the fuse would keep popping, which it doesn't). I'm starting to think it may have something to do with the switch itself. I'm going to look into that now and see what I find. Thanks for the input
Unread 11-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
zschu001
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just a heads up... I pulled the dash and checked all the connections, nothing seems loose or shorted. I located two grounds on the driver side behind the speaker, those were fine. I pulled each and every fuse from behind the glove box, all are fine. I pulled all the fuses under the hood, all are fine. I checked the grounds at the tail lamps, all are fine. I have read about others adding another ground wire from the frame to the negative battery terminal, could this help?

The dealer told me since I put aftermarket lights on, they won't touch it without me paying. Seems odd that all of the lights I installed are on their own relays/fuses/grounds, yet those could be causing an issue...? They didn't have an answer for the dash not lighting up, just wanted $220 to see if they could find a ground short. I'm going in on Friday to speak with the assistant manager who I bought the Jeep from to see if he'll attempt to make it right and at least order a new switch to see if that's whats causing the issue. In the mean time, any other suggestions are welcome

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.