Eaton E-Locker switch wiring? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Eaton E-Locker switch wiring?

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Eaton E-Locker switch wiring?

ok folks I am starting to find motivation to work on my jeep after enduring a years worth of stress and drama. I would like to get my mind on/off certain things in my life.

I purchased an axle with the eaton all ready installed, I can not stand the big round push button switch, so I purchased a few that matched the one that came with my Detroit e locker that fit nicely in the factory switch locations.

I tried this once around 1.5 yrs ago and ended up heating up the switch and popping a fuse. So I need to have a better understanding of what I am working with so that I can make sure the switches are compatible and button up this project since my dash has been torn apart since fall of 06.

I know what blasphemy to hear such a thing, but my mind has been off in other places that needed my attention. So if anyone on here can assist me with a diagram or point me in the correct direction, or if you have first hand knowledge please share with me this knowledge.

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

this is the switch I have now for the Eaton (do not like it). Mine is orange, but they look the same. The new ones are the Contura II switches.
eatonbutton.jpg  

Unread 04-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
SirGCal

never done an Eaton.. I'd need the schematic.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
NeBlue93Yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If your just looking for a switch that will work, just make sure that it is rated for the job you are using it for. Make sure that the switch can operate with the amp load. Look at the other switch you use and it might say the rating on there. I might be able to help you if i had a schematic or something like that.
NeBlue93Yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

the problem is I don't have a schematic either, the eaton switch is round and has no markings on the back, the new switches are rated the same and both systems utilize relays to ease the load on the switches themselves.

I purchased the axle used with the locker all ready installed. I have had the switch just dangling from under the dash and would like to make a more permanent solution that has better esthetics's.

Unread 04-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

You mentioned Relays, if there is a relay usually the current required to activate it is minor, so just about any switch should work.
Why you had a problem with the switch heating is weird you must have somehow had the locker current through the switch but anyway.

answer me some questions :

Does the Relay have numbers on the Connections, what are they ?

What are they hooked up too at this time, i.e. pin number X goes to XXX ?

Is there a schematic on the Relay ?

I am looking for the standard relay pin out, i.e. pins numbered:
85, 86, 87, and 30.

get back to us...

Nice YJ...

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler82 View Post
You mentioned Relays, if there is a relay usually the current required to activate it is minor, so just about any switch should work.
Why you had a problem with the switch heating is weird you must have somehow had the locker current through the switch but anyway.

answer me some questions :

Does the Relay have numbers on the Connections, what are they ?

What are they hooked up too at this time, i.e. pin number X goes to XXX ?

Is there a schematic on the Relay ?

I am looking for the standard relay pin out, i.e. pins numbered:
85, 86, 87, and 30.

get back to us...

Nice YJ...
I will see what I can do to find out this information. the jeep is not conveniently located so i can not go look under the dash at the relay.

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:23 AM   #8
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the delay in the follow up to this message, but couple of weekends ago, my friend and I tackled this project and some other small ones left un touched for some time now. Never did find any clear cut schematics so we went at it with a test light and got it moved over to my preferred contura II switches (still need to label them, but i know which does which at this time.).

thanks for the PM's on this topic the one that is lite up is the eaton in the front locked up.

Last edited by BackRoadJPin; 06-11-2008 at 11:03 AM..
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
matgyver

Does anyone know if its just clean 12v to activate the elocker, or is there a resister or something inline? Could I just do a simple key'd 12v to switch and batt to locker with relay set up?
matgyver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.