Easy Console 8" Sub Upgrade (Sound Ordnance B-8PT) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Easy Console 8" Sub Upgrade (Sound Ordnance B-8PT)

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
phokur

Easy Console 8" Sub Upgrade (Sound Ordnance B-8PT)

I was looking for a way to get an 8" sub in my console. I love the custom boxes fellow Jeepers do but I'm just too lazy. I looked around for a thin, powered sub that could potentially fit. I finally stumbled upon the Sound Ordnance B-8PT and decided to give it a shot.

Getting the old powered sub out of the console isn't too bad. There are plenty of write-ups showing how to yank it out to upgrade the 6.5".
Once you get it all unbolted you should be looking at your unbelievably grimy floor.

Here are a couple comparison shots of the old sub box vs the new sub box. As you can see they are very close in size. (Forgive my daughter's the pink accessories that slowly eat my garage space.)

I opted to use the connector off of the old sub. If you plan to sell the factory box you may want to keep it and go another route. I have a thing against slicing into a factory harness.

For our new sub all we care about are (sub side of the harness):
white - pwr
tan - switched pwd
green - ground

The rest are the high level inputs from the speakers. I assume you are using an aftermarket headunit and are ditching these for the sub out RCAs. If not, the high levels are:
blue - lr+
violet - lr-
orange - rr+
yellow - rr-

I used my aftermarket stereo sub output RCAs. The cable snakes nicely down the dash and between the 4x4 select and shifter, parallel to the original harness. I chopped off the wires I didn't need on my new sub adapter. You don't want stray wires shorting so tape them off or cut them close like I did with fingernail cutters.

Here it is wired up to the sub.

The wiring is done! Hook it up now and make sure the blasted thing turns on and makes noise before finishing the install. Whoever had the Jeep before me never attached the remote wire when they installed the aftermarket headunit, so my switched power was dead. I used the remote antenna wire off of my head unit as the switched 12v.

Since I knew the box would be contacting the center console at multiple points, I knew I had to prevent rattles. I used thick window seal foam tape in strips on every contact point to prevent that. Here it is installed and ready for the center console to be reinstalled.

I won't lie, it is a PAIN to get the console positioned just right without knocking the sub over onto the parking brake. I unbolted the shifter column and moved the seats to give myself as much room as possible. The sub does not sit straight up, it leans slightly towards the parking brake once the console is installed. It does not rub anything and does not rattle. I considered installed polyfoam for better sound but I'm not sure it's needed.
The sound is a HUGE improvement! I can rattle the rear view mirror if I am so inclined, but turned down it adds the subtle deep bass that was missing with the stock woofer.

Hope somebody finds this useful. Jeep on!

History:
90 XJ, 96 XJ, 89 MJ, 87 YJ, 10 JK
phokur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
mmini1990
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey man just stole your idea. Went with polk marine grade dxi all around and so b8pt sub. Installed just like you did. Works amazingly. Thanks for the great idea!

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/oth-build-my-03-rubi-1388971/[/url]

There are other ways of adding belly clearance without lifting your vehicle off the axles...like 40s, 42s, 44s, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike481
My jeep is magic...it can make all my money disappear.

that's not magic, that's standard operating procedure

"i dont understand why jeep made doors and tops an option, getting cought bare assed, pants around your ankels in a hail storm is half the fun of owning this *****"
mmini1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So does this sub just sit inside your console?
I do not have the center console with the built in sub, but could I buy this and just drop it in my center console?
dougiefresh131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great idea! I wonder though if the oem wiring gauge is too thin for the aftermarket amp. Did it say in the instructions what the minimum gauge was? Has it held up over time/use?
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
mmini1990
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So im going to shed some light here.

The stock sub wiering harness is perfect. Just snip the wires that are not needed with a cuticel cliper. The three wiers needed just strip a little bit off and it connects to the sub via screw plates. It works like it was meant for it. Then plug it in to the stock female end thats still attached to the jeep and boom. Theres you power. Than just run the rca cabels next to the stock power cabels along side the shifter and up past the vents to the backof the head unit. Boom. Any left over rca I just stored in the glove box. Im away from my jeep right now. I can post picks later.

There are other ways of adding belly clearance without lifting your vehicle off the axles...like 40s, 42s, 44s, etc

Quote:

"i dont understand why jeep made doors and tops an option, getting cought bare assed, pants around your ankels in a hail storm is half the fun of owning this *****"
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
mmini1990
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiefresh131 View Post
So does this sub just sit inside your console?
I do not have the center console with the built in sub, but could I buy this and just drop it in my center console?
Yes sir. Its going to fit like 98% perfect.

Quote:

Unread 04-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bookmarked so I can find it again. Thanks for the writeup.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
phokur

Just posting an update. Six months since the install and it's still thumping!

History:
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Where can i find one of these since they are discontinued?
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
phokur

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatlord View Post
Where can i find one of these since they are discontinued?
Looks like they "upgraded" it?
B-8PTD

I don't see any spec difference between the two, other than a very small size variance. Oh, and they jacked the price up $50.

History:
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
thehartster
Garage Rat

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks phokur

I just installed my Crutchfield Sound Ordnance B-8PTD in my console because of your post and you are spot on...........Perfect fit and great sound!
My Wrangler's subwoofer was missing when I purchased it. I just ran the power to the battery and remote to the radio. Thanks for the write up.
This was one thing I wanted to do without taking up any extra space and it fit the bill to a "T".
thehartster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
phokur

Sweet, glad this helped!
I just installed a new B-8PTD in another TJ and can verify it fits.
Also, found out if I used thinner a insulator to wrap it, it fit without having to lean over the e-brake.

History:
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #13
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just installed this in my center console. I didn't have a subwoofer before, so I took out the white plastic liner and basically did the same thing. Wiring was simple. It fits really well.
I cut cardboard and covered it in duct tape and wedged it between the console and the subwoofer and above the ebrake so I can still use most of the storage.
img_8104-800x600-.jpg

img_8106-800x600-.jpg

img_8107-800x600-.jpg

Unread 01-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #14
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Any more relevant pics? I have a SO sub ready to go in soon.
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #15
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatlord View Post
Any more relevant pics? I have a SO sub ready to go in soon.
That's all I took. Its straightforward. Just be sure to put some sort of foam or insulator on the bottom so it's not sitting on the metal floor and in the areas it contacts the console.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.