Dual batteries or high amp Alternator for winching? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Dual batteries or high amp Alternator for winching?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
DrPop
1946 CJ2A 

Dual batteries or high amp Alternator for winching?

Hi all, buying my Grandpa's last Jeep he built up (so it's sentimental value), a 1946 Willy's CJ2A. He's put a 350 V8 in there with custom radiator and etc.

I'd like to get a winch for it (I remember all too well being stuck in my CJ7 years ago, wishing I had one!), and immediately thought of doing a double battery setup. But honestly with that V8 shoe-horned in the CJ2A, I don't know how much room there is for a second battery.

So that begs the question: Do I even need a second battery for winching or would a high amp alternator for that 350 do the trick even better? Or does everyone think whatever alternator he's got on there right now will be just fine - assuming it's stock output?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on how this works. I'm not sure if the juice has to come from the battery to the winch or if the winch can just suck off the alternator output and not really discharge the battery at all when running. I'm sure some much more experienced winching veterans can give me the real scoop here.
Thanks!

DrPop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Winching can draw over 800 amps under load, your not going to supply that much from any alternator that fits under the hood of any vehicle. Having a high capacity battery teamed up with a high output alternator is your best bet. Most of the time all your winching will be done with the engine running. Having a dual battery setup is nice but unless your doing a lot of overlanding it's overkill for 95% of the weekend wheelers...but it looks cool
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Hi DrPop, check out this link http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/du...lding-1231432/
I've found JeepHammer's posts to be among the best on here.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
Indy

If you're going to winch a lot and for long pulls, find a spot for a 2nd battery and use a high amp alt. Neither will keep up with a winch but the extra capacity will help.

If you're not going to be winching all day every day, 1 regular battery and a stock alt is fine. 99% of people with winches run that setup.
Unread 04-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
base shakers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My vote is high output alternator, hand throttle, and 2nd alternator/grounding cable. A 2nd battery is nice, but a rev'd up (via the hand throttle) high output alternator should work wonders for short pulls. And make sure you upgrade the alternator cable and ground cable, I've seen jeeps smoke when the skinny stock wiring can't handle the draw. It would be a shame to see it happen to a CJ2A!
Unread 04-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by base shakers View Post
My vote is high output alternator, hand throttle, and 2nd alternator/grounding cable. A 2nd battery is nice, but a rev'd up (via the hand throttle) high output alternator should work wonders for short pulls. And make sure you upgrade the alternator cable and ground cable, I've seen jeeps smoke when the skinny stock wiring can't handle the draw. It would be a shame to see it happen to a CJ2A!
When you say high output alternator what do you mean? The most common alternator upgrades are still putting out less than 200A. Yes there are ones that will put out 300A+ but you don't see them often. Winching easily pulls 400-500A on a tough pull. A good strong battery (e.g. Diehard Platinum) will be sufficient for most.
Unread 04-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Be that as it may, I've gone with JeepHammer's reccomendations and they've worked for me.
Unread 04-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
DrPop
1946 CJ2A 

Thank you all for the helpful discussion. I've had Jeeps in the past, but never had a winch on the front and always wanted one. I think this is the Jeep that's finally going to get one.
I'll check and see what kind of alternator and battery is in there now. Quite honestly with how long it's been sitting at Grandpa's place, I think I may have to put a new battery in there soon anyway. Maybe I can find room for a second one. And who knows what Amp output the current alternator has, but if anyone knows of a place with good deals on a high out put one for a Chevy 350 V8, please let me know!

@turbogus - thanks for the link to JeepHammer's posts on this, I will go read those right now.
DrPop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
if anyone knows of a place with good deals on a high out put one for a Chevy 350 V8, please let me know!
Check with Mech Man. They should have what you need.
Unread 04-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #10
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

For the record when my Jeep still had the 2.5L in it I was running the stock (75 amp ish) Alt with around a 950 CCA battery. I didn't have any issues with it and had a few hard pulls from time to time. Get the biggest battery you can physically put in the stock location and you should be fine for 95% of all the winching you will run across. Running a snatch block on the harder pulls will make it easier on the winch and your battery.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2014, 02:01 AM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

For 99.9% of us winch users who are able to excercise simple common sense while winching, there's no need for anything but the stock alternator and a good heavy duty battery. I have even had to winch myself off the trail several times on just my single battery when the engine couldn't be started. And that single battery still started the engine after the problem was fixed.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2014, 09:40 PM   #12
8000ft
2009 JK Wrangler 

a big help is to get a "dual purpose" battery. Better known as a deep cycle/starter battery. Repeated pulls on a standard battery will kill that battery quickly. If a normal car battery is rated for 900CCA it's only meant to supply that 900 amps for short bursts like when starting a car in the dead of winter.

The size of the alternator will only affect the rate of recharging the battery, think of it as a bucket (battery) and a supply hose. the bigger the bucket the more glasses of water you can drink out of it before it is empty...the diameter of the supply hose(alternator) will determine how soon you will be able to drink from the bucket again.

hope this helps,
8000ft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #13
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

This is one of the same points that JeepHammer makes so elegantly (or heavily like a (sledge) hammer), I highly reccomend the link I posted earlier to anyone that may be bewildered, confused or otherwise has questions of an electrical nature. IMHO of course.
Unread 05-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #14
riverrunner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogus View Post
Hi DrPop, check out this link http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/du...lding-1231432/
I've found JeepHammer's posts to be amo9ng the best on here.
Read this! I just read the write up for the first time and all of my questions and more are answered.
riverrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

In the details of JH's posts he goes into how he came to his conclusions, I found them right convincing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.