Drivers Door Lock/Unlock Switch Not Working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Drivers Door Lock/Unlock Switch Not Working

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 07-31-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
tyler003

Drivers Door Lock/Unlock Switch Not Working

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I have recently purchased. While taking a further look into the vehicle I noticed that the lock/unlock switch on the drivers side door only partially worked. I am able to unlock the car, but pushing it to the locking side does nothing. On the passenger door the switch works perfectly. If anyone knows a trick on how to fix this or do I just have to go behind the door skin and check it out for myself. Thank you, Tyler003

tyler003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler003 View Post
I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I have recently purchased. While taking a further look into the vehicle I noticed that the lock/unlock switch on the drivers side door only partially worked. I am able to unlock the car, but pushing it to the locking side does nothing. On the passenger door the switch works perfectly. If anyone knows a trick on how to fix this or do I just have to go behind the door skin and check it out for myself. Thank you, Tyler003
First, I'd check the harness at the door hinges, sometimes they come loose.

Second, check where the that same harness plugs into the door/window switch inside the door and make sure it is tight, too. (My old ZJ had this happen)

Failing that, it could be the switch itself or a broken wire in the harness.

Or, sometimes the physical slider mechanism gets so dirty that the power lock motor can't push it. (Current ZJ had this so I took out the whole slider thing and cleaned and lubed it)

In any case, there's a bunch of stuff you can do to check it before throwing money at it.

When you try to lock it, do you hear anything in the door moving or just nothing?
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
tyler003

I hear nothing happening, I push it and I guess there's a wire loose because nothing happens. That function of the switch seems dead I guess, the unlock function works perfect like I had said just no lock. The button isn't responding
tyler003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler003 View Post
I hear nothing happening, I push it and I guess there's a wire loose because nothing happens. That function of the switch seems dead I guess, the unlock function works perfect like I had said just no lock. The button isn't responding
Can always try jumping the points on the switch plug with a wire to see if that does anything. A bit of wd40 squirted in the switch to clean it might help too if it's dirty and wd40 won't short anything out.
Just make sure your window is up first so you don't get oil on it!

Or it could be the door lock actuator itself, which can be replaced and sometimes rebuilt - they get reallllll dirty:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...8/#post9903621

Try the wd40 first and try to get the dust and stuff out of the switch.

Oh, and you can try posting this in the ZJ forum section, too. There are a lot of smart guys who know your model well.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.