Double Din Nav Install - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Double Din Nav Install

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #46
DaMitsuMan
2011 WK 

Hey is your dvd player being held on my anything? or just sitting snug in there? I couldnt seem to see any screws holding it in. Also, I would be willing to send out the fascia for somebody to work on because I am not handy at all and fiberglassing would not end well for me

Unread 03-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #47
Yesfan70
2004 WJ 

bump....

I recently joined the WJ family and am thinking about doing something similar to mine. I have a few other questions though......

Sites like Crutchfield say these units "will not fit". I know they can after reading this thread but issues I worry about is the plug and play adapter that Crutchfield includes with purchase. Did you get one with yours when you ordered that Pioneer, or did you have to match up the wires directly?

Does the whole dash have to be pulled out or just the fascia part? On my TJ, the center part of the console had to be removed in order to remove the radio. Are the WJs the same way?

One last question (sorry). If I decide to just settle for a flip up screen, how sturdy are they in the upright position? They seem like they would easily flop back and forth on a trail and have a lot of play to them. Are there flip up styles that still display song info with the screen folded down? if so, I might just settle for a flip up.

Thanks and sorry for the winded post. You did an excellent job on that install.
Blue Jeep Club Member #193

My Jeep Pics

I live. I wheel. I am. Jeep
Yesfan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #48
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan70 View Post
bump....

I recently joined the WJ family and am thinking about doing something similar to mine. I have a few other questions though......

Sites like Crutchfield say these units "will not fit". I know they can after reading this thread but issues I worry about is the plug and play adapter that Crutchfield includes with purchase. Did you get one with yours when you ordered that Pioneer, or did you have to match up the wires directly?

Does the whole dash have to be pulled out or just the fascia part? On my TJ, the center part of the console had to be removed in order to remove the radio. Are the WJs the same way?

One last question (sorry). If I decide to just settle for a flip up screen, how sturdy are they in the upright position? They seem like they would easily flop back and forth on a trail and have a lot of play to them. Are there flip up styles that still display song info with the screen folded down? if so, I might just settle for a flip up.

Thanks and sorry for the winded post. You did an excellent job on that install.
no the fascia on the WJ's Pops out use a Puddy knife to fix pop it out.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #49
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan70 View Post
bump....

nooope, I've done stereo installs on several WJs and the dash bezel just pops off. take a plastic putty knife or "trim tool" and work it in at the top of the bezel surrounding the radio and give it a little pry and it should pop right off

I did one on an 05 TJ too and that was more annoying haha we had to pop off the upper dash panel and undo three screws for the center bezel. It felt kinda unnecessary haha

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #50
Yesfan70
2004 WJ 

Thanks fellas. Can you guys tell me if you will still get the right adapter with a unit that's labeled "does not fit"?

After poking around the owner's manual and just looking around to see what I have, I found I have a 10 disc changer in the back. When changing out factory head unit to an after market, can the factory remote changer still be used or does it also have to go?

Sorry for all the questions. With my TJ, I just went with a simple CD player with a USB jack. I wasn't really interested in adding nav and all that to a vehicle that can be easily broke into, so install was a breeze. Unfortunately that is the only stereo install I have done in my life, so I was wondering how much more of a challenge is it going to be to change out a factory nav system with a remote disc changer to an "all in one" after market system.

I might lean toward those flip up screens to keep it simple and cheap.
Blue Jeep Club Member #193

My Jeep Pics

I live. I wheel. I am. Jeep
Yesfan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #51
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i suggest giving them a ring and talking to customer support and tell them you're doing a custom job and you're going to make it fit so you would still like the harnesses and stuff (antenna adaptor too if your mid 2002's and up.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #52
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

may i suggest overlaying it with 3M Di-Noc cabron fiber wrap black...
blazepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #53
longbeach1970

I am getteing ready to put the avic-x930bt in my 04 grand cherokee laredo iam going to buy the head unit today, I am going to have al and eds do the install, but after i saw the new support you made, i was wondering if you would be willing to make another one and i would pay you of course for your time and parts and shipping. i just dont trust al and eds would make somthin like that to support the head unit..the x930bt i have it already in my wifes car and i love it but the navigation system could be a little more simple, i love what you have done so far.....
longbeach1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #54
longbeach1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsconver View Post
yes it does stick out, but most of them do, I am trying to bring the fascia out to blend with plastic and fiberglass. This was somewhat required do to the angle of the head unit, if the top edge was flush the bottom edge would be set back in the fascia.
I am getteing ready to put the avic-x930bt in my 04 grand cherokee laredo iam going to buy the head unit today, I am going to have al and eds do the install, but after i saw the new support you made, i was wondering if you would be willing to make another one and i would pay you of course for your time and parts and shipping. i just dont trust al and eds would make somthin like that to support the head unit..the x930bt i have it already in my wifes car and i love it but the navigation system could be a little more simple, i love what you have done so far.....
longbeach1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #55
rockcrawlernut
2004 WJ 

look's good I like the custom radio. Very clean!!
[/CENTER][/SIZE][/FONT]

[CENTER][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-rock-dog-1284108/"]*--->Rockcrawlernut's Build Thread<---*[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
rockcrawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.