Do you think this alarm system would work in a jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Do you think this alarm system would work in a jeep?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-06-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
ILoveMyJeep1996
1984 CJ7 

Do you think this alarm system would work in a jeep?

This might sound weird but I found an airplane alarm system, but I think I can modify it very slightly to make it work in my jeep... but I need to know if you guys think it would work, and what you think I would need to do to get it to work?

The instructions say

"You will require #22 AWG wire to install this unit. Mount the alarm in an out of the way location, where it is convenient to run wires to the door switches and the system on-off switch. When the location has been selected (4) #8 sheet-metal screws or rivnuts will be required for mounting. The On-Off switch should be hidden from view. The door switches are installed so the contacts will be closed (switch button depressed) when the doors are shut. Each door switch requires (2) #8 screws for mounting. This alarm system will activate any time this circuit is opened, and begins its 20-40 second time delay. Since this alarm system is designed to operate when the master is off, it is necessary to obtain power directly from the battery. A fuse, not to exceed 5 amps, should be installed as close to the battery as possible.

When exiting aircraft: Door must be open when you turn system On-Off switch to "on" position (this puts the alarm in a ready state). System will not be armed until you have exited aircraft and closed all doors.

When entering aircraft: Open door and turn system switch off. 20-40 second time delay allows you to do this before the alarm activates siren and strobes. This delay is Fail-Safe because you can only stop the alarm by flicking the switch "off".

I'm assuming I can just wire up the switch censors and mount them right under the inside nuts from the door hinge bolts, and when the door is closed the door will push the switch into the depressed position, and when the door opens the alarm will be activated if its not turned off in 20-40 seconds. This alarm is hooked up to a siren and a strobe light, but I'm assuming I can just ignore the strobe light part...

Does this sound like I could make it work?
I can provide more details if needed...

I will be posting pictures and scans of the instructions in a few minutes or half an hour at the maximum...

ILoveMyJeep1996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You could probably wire the door switch in with the stock door switches. I have installed a few aircraft alarms in the past few years, and they really aren't worth much. Having a strobe and siren on an airplane is a bad idea. One of my customers had one activate in flight, and the switch was out of his reach. I didn't install it, but he had me remove it that day.

Most aircraft owners are more worried about their electronics than the airplanes. Some radios in the aircraft go for over $1000 each.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.