Do you know?? Electrical Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Do you know?? Electrical Issue

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 06-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
srmkenzie

Do you know?? Electrical Issue

Vehicle: 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8

We have been battling with our Jeep over the past year. I read a lot about them having electrical issues. This time I want advice instead of wasting money on parts that aren't the problem.

So far we replaced the battery, some fuses, and the starter.

Issue: The Jeep goes from having normal voltage on the gauge to nothing. Interior lights dim and display, where the compass and degrees are, shuts off. Most of the time it starts, but it will putter. When using the A/C or heater the voltage was staying around 14 on the gauge. When it is shut off the gauge drops. Last night going home, the gauge just dropped completely and check engine light came on. The battery had corrosion on the negative post so we tried another battery, but it was still not working right. I have codes P1682 and P1499 coming up. Is it the battery again? Is it a bad alternator? Is it bad battery cables? What else could it be?

Advice and experience is needed and much appreciated.

srmkenzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
srmkenzie

Replaced alternator and now everything works fine!
srmkenzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
nickcospo

I have the same problem but had my alternator checked and it is good idk what to do
nickcospo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcospo View Post
I have the same problem but had my alternator checked and it is good idk what to do
Where did you have it checked? Autozone does not always catch the bad ones and I personally don't trust them.

Start with the basics.

How old is the battery and alternator? Check your clamps, are they clean and tight? Check the grounds, are they clean and tight as well? High milage alternators can have low/intermittent output.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
alternator problem , battery , electrical , electrical issue , no power

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.