Do I need a larger alternator to run off road lights? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Do I need a larger alternator to run off road lights?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 09-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
nutters
2013 JK Wrangler 

We have three lights on a bumper bar and five on a roof bar. Will we need a bigger battery or another alternater? I have a 2013 JK Wrangler Sport with 3.6 L V6 24-Valve VVT engine. I don't know what other info yall might need as I'm asking for my husband. I have a 600 Amp Maintenance free battery. The lights are Rugged Ridge 100w. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I didn't know if I could post on this one or if I should create a new thread)

nutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

800W at 12V (worst case) will yield a 66.66 A load (56A normal). If you plan on running them all at the same time when the engine running you should upgrade the altinator and the power and ground wires at the battery and altinator.
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #18
Indy

Where are you getting 800w? He's running 260w in lights, with a low output of 14v while running he's burning 18ish amps. Stock alt will handle that additional load easily. But you should be running that load through a relay and not just the switch, which odds are you are doing.

But anyways an over drain is easy to see, everything will gradually dim, the jeep wont just die and leave the lighs running.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #19
Indy

Ah nevermind. Why in the world does every newbie ressurect decades old threads?

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Where are you getting 800w? He's running 260w in lights, with a low output of 14v while running he's burning 18ish amps. Stock alt will handle that additional load easily. But you should be running that load through a relay and not just the switch, which odds are you are doing.

But anyways an over drain is easy to see, everything will gradually dim, the jeep wont just die and leave the lighs running.
I don't know? He has eight 100W lights added and worst case a 12v battery.

Also the thread is from Jan 31 2012. Hardly close to decades old.
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #21
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Ah nevermind. Why in the world does every newbie ressurect decades old threads?
What does it matter. At least they used the search function. Thread still has relevance to them.
Bmel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #22
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
if hooked up properly, correct.
+2

Edit:
didn't see second page >_< might help to check that out next time..
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.