Do I need a larger alternator to run off road lights? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Do I need a larger alternator to run off road lights?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 01-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
cdywhitney24
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Do I need a larger alternator to run off road lights?

So I just recently got a pair of KC off roading lights and mounted them to my windshield. I hooked them up and they turned off and on perfectly while sitting in the garage. Later that evening I was driving down the road and thought I would try them out. Turned them on and it killed my engine. The lights stayed on but everything else went out. When I pulled over I turned the lights off and the engine fired right back up. The lights work just fine when the engine is not running, but everytime the engine is running the lights will kill it. Does this mean I need a larger alternator? Everything on my YJ is stock.

cdywhitney24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Check your wiring, something is not right.

You could have every light know to man installed on there and just turning them on will not kill your engine. They will however drain you battery.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yea somethings not right there. I run two pairs of kc 130w daylighters in addition to my headlights. 1 pair of lights definately wont kill the engine. Lights dont affect the engine. They may overload the alternator, blow a fuse, or melt some wire, but not kill the engine. Are you sure thats the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
cdywhitney24
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have no idea what the problem is. I followed the instructions and hooked them up exactly how it told me too. The lights are KC 130 watt each. I was talking with some people and they said that they may be sucking out all the power just to turn them on while I am driving and that I may need a larger alternator. Any other ideas on why I cant get it all to work. I see all these other jeeps with multiple sets of lights and winches and am just curious how they get all that to work because I cant even get one set of lights to work.
Unread 01-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Jrob05

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Could you possibly have a positive and negative connection backwards?
Jrob05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
Dickpalmer

If you have them wired through the ignition wire for a hot wire, that could do it. You may have a lighted switch wired wrong and shorting the ignition. Does your engine just cut off immediately? If it does check the above suggestions.
Dickpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdywhitney24 View Post
So I just recently got a pair of KC off roading lights and mounted them to my windshield. I hooked them up and they turned off and on perfectly while sitting in the garage. Later that evening I was driving down the road and thought I would try them out. Turned them on and it killed my engine. The lights stayed on but everything else went out. When I pulled over I turned the lights off and the engine fired right back up. The lights work just fine when the engine is not running, but everytime the engine is running the lights will kill it. Does this mean I need a larger alternator? Everything on my YJ is stock.
I have six 130W lights and an amp. All running at idle with no issues. You likely either have a short on the light side of the circuit. A dieing battery or you have a battery/alternator wire issue.

You are using a relay and fuse in the light circuit, correct??
http://support.kchilites.com/index.p...ch&attach_id=8
Unread 01-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
Dickpalmer

If the engine started right back up after you turned the lights off than your battery still had power. It's not a battery drain issue. Re- check your wiring or have someone look at it.
Dickpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #9
cdywhitney24
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I will have to check my wiring again. I have looked it over many times now. I just put in a brand new battery and my alternator tested good when I took it in. By
Unread 02-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #10
cdywhitney24
1991 YJ Wrangler 

By the sound of it it sounds like I did something wrong. Thank you guys for all your help.
Unread 02-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've got no problems running 55w HID spotlights and 55w Halogen driving lights with my headlights.

I would go back through and double check every single connection you added onto your Jeep. When wiring up lights like this, it's best to create their own power supply (and NOT tie into other power supplies) by hooking directly into the positive terminal on the battery.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
cdywhitney24
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I am going to pay a guy I know 40 bucks to have him hook them up right. I just want to make sure though. I should have no problem running these lights with the stock alternator I have and my new battery right?
Unread 02-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdywhitney24 View Post
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I am going to pay a guy I know 40 bucks to have him hook them up right. I just want to make sure though. I should have no problem running these lights with the stock alternator I have and my new battery right?
If hooked up properly, correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #14
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, like I mentioned I am running 4 aftermarket lights off my stock alternator, sometimes 5 (depends if I'm backing up or not).

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
Azalin_00
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573

if hooked up properly, correct.
^^^x2
My Jeep
Azalin_00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.