JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/)
-   -   Do I need a larger alternator to run off road lights? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/do-i-need-larger-alternator-run-off-road-lights-1322331/)

cdywhitney24 01-31-2012 02:48 PM

Do I need a larger alternator to run off road lights?

So I just recently got a pair of KC off roading lights and mounted them to my windshield. I hooked them up and they turned off and on perfectly while sitting in the garage. Later that evening I was driving down the road and thought I would try them out. Turned them on and it killed my engine. The lights stayed on but everything else went out. When I pulled over I turned the lights off and the engine fired right back up. The lights work just fine when the engine is not running, but everytime the engine is running the lights will kill it. Does this mean I need a larger alternator? Everything on my YJ is stock.

Rudinater 01-31-2012 03:27 PM

Check your wiring, something is not right.

You could have every light know to man installed on there and just turning them on will not kill your engine. They will however drain you battery.

sjones26573 01-31-2012 03:31 PM

Yea somethings not right there. I run two pairs of kc 130w daylighters in addition to my headlights. 1 pair of lights definately wont kill the engine. Lights dont affect the engine. They may overload the alternator, blow a fuse, or melt some wire, but not kill the engine. Are you sure thats the issue?

cdywhitney24 01-31-2012 04:30 PM

I have no idea what the problem is. I followed the instructions and hooked them up exactly how it told me too. The lights are KC 130 watt each. I was talking with some people and they said that they may be sucking out all the power just to turn them on while I am driving and that I may need a larger alternator. Any other ideas on why I cant get it all to work. I see all these other jeeps with multiple sets of lights and winches and am just curious how they get all that to work because I cant even get one set of lights to work.

Jrob05 01-31-2012 07:25 PM

Could you possibly have a positive and negative connection backwards?

Dickpalmer 01-31-2012 07:28 PM

If you have them wired through the ignition wire for a hot wire, that could do it. You may have a lighted switch wired wrong and shorting the ignition. Does your engine just cut off immediately? If it does check the above suggestions.

JPNinPA 01-31-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdywhitney24 (Post 12962319)
So I just recently got a pair of KC off roading lights and mounted them to my windshield. I hooked them up and they turned off and on perfectly while sitting in the garage. Later that evening I was driving down the road and thought I would try them out. Turned them on and it killed my engine. The lights stayed on but everything else went out. When I pulled over I turned the lights off and the engine fired right back up. The lights work just fine when the engine is not running, but everytime the engine is running the lights will kill it. Does this mean I need a larger alternator? Everything on my YJ is stock.

I have six 130W lights and an amp. All running at idle with no issues. You likely either have a short on the light side of the circuit. A dieing battery or you have a battery/alternator wire issue.

You are using a relay and fuse in the light circuit, correct??
http://support.kchilites.com/index.p...ch&attach_id=8

Dickpalmer 01-31-2012 07:34 PM

If the engine started right back up after you turned the lights off than your battery still had power. It's not a battery drain issue. Re- check your wiring or have someone look at it.

cdywhitney24 02-01-2012 12:42 AM

I will have to check my wiring again. I have looked it over many times now. I just put in a brand new battery and my alternator tested good when I took it in. By

cdywhitney24 02-01-2012 12:43 AM

By the sound of it it sounds like I did something wrong. Thank you guys for all your help.

Xpress 02-01-2012 10:14 AM

I've got no problems running 55w HID spotlights and 55w Halogen driving lights with my headlights.

I would go back through and double check every single connection you added onto your Jeep. When wiring up lights like this, it's best to create their own power supply (and NOT tie into other power supplies) by hooking directly into the positive terminal on the battery.

cdywhitney24 02-08-2012 02:43 PM

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I am going to pay a guy I know 40 bucks to have him hook them up right. I just want to make sure though. I should have no problem running these lights with the stock alternator I have and my new battery right?

sjones26573 02-08-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdywhitney24 (Post 13013035)
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I am going to pay a guy I know 40 bucks to have him hook them up right. I just want to make sure though. I should have no problem running these lights with the stock alternator I have and my new battery right?

If hooked up properly, correct.

Xpress 02-08-2012 05:07 PM

Yes, like I mentioned I am running 4 aftermarket lights off my stock alternator, sometimes 5 (depends if I'm backing up or not).

Azalin_00 02-08-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjones26573

if hooked up properly, correct.

^^^x2

The time now is 02:41 AM.