DIY Rock Lights - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > DIY Rock Lights

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #46
Miller97
2003 TJ Wrangler 

1st pic of the final product is batmobile lookin **** lol

Unread 12-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #47
01TJWheeler

Not working

I just ordered these lights and tapped into the battery just to try them out and neither one of the 2 strips (10 each) will light up. I had no switch, relay, or fuse hooked up. Any ideas why they aren't working? Maybe I got a bad batch, who knows.
01TJWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #48
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

try reversing polarity.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #49
cwesterfield
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Most common diodes would work fine and they are cheap. I think I used a 1N4001 ***CORRECTION, I USED 1N4006*** but a 1N4004 is also common and probably be better.

The OP has 1.5 Amps, but you are using a 1 amp diode. Did you have a lesser load or just not worried about it?

cwesterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #50
jacob1189
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwesterfield View Post
Most common diodes would work fine and they are cheap. I think I used a 1N4001 ***CORRECTION, I USED 1N4006*** but a 1N4004 is also common and probably be better.

The OP has 1.5 Amps, but you are using a 1 amp diode. Did you have a lesser load or just not worried about it?
just 1 should be fine. I didn't test my load but I'm sure it's the same or maybe more.
jacob1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #51
jacob1189
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TJWheeler View Post
I just ordered these lights and tapped into the battery just to try them out and neither one of the 2 strips (10 each) will light up. I had no switch, relay, or fuse hooked up. Any ideas why they aren't working? Maybe I got a bad batch, who knows.
As was already mentioned, reverse the polarity. I found that about half of mine had the wires crossed. Just test each light's power/ground before wiring it in.
Unread 12-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #52
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

There is a guy on Pirate4x4 that sells those lights if you don't want to wait weeks for them to come in, or want a more reliable seller. He has multiple colors as well.

I have a set to add puddle lights to my WJ, but haven't had the time to install them yet
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #53
FastHotRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1189 View Post
I took the reverse light power from the rear of the jeep (spliced into the reverse lights) but make sure you use a diode to keep the power from the lights hitting the actual reverse lights (which would turn on the reverse lights anytime you turned on the rock lights/opened the door etc.)

Then I tapped into the dome lights by the driver's feet (I can't remember which wires the power/ground are exactly, but I tapped in near the harness) again, using a diode so that your dome lights don't pop on in reverse/when the rock lights are switched on.

I like being seen better when pulling out of a dark parking spot; but really, the dome light tap is the better of the two mods, it's cool looking and it helps everyone see the running boards!
Very cool idea... and if you wanted to get rid of the diodes and use relays, you could wire it up like this:

It's a simple "OR" Gate circuit. Each relay isolates each source so they do not back feed each other. So either the dash switch, reverse lights, or door/dome lights would turn on a path for power to reach the lights.

Some of the cheapest relays and sockets I've found are at Parts Express. I bought a hand full of them just to keep handy in the shop. I never know when I'm going to need one... until I need one.
FastHotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #54
cwesterfield
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1189 View Post
just 1 should be fine. I didn't test my load but I'm sure it's the same or maybe more.
Can someone elaborate on this? I'm confused about going over the load for the diode. Is this an okay practice? Do I understand the load incorrectly?
Unread 01-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #55
FastHotRod

Quote:
Can someone elaborate on this? I'm confused about going over the load for the diode. Is this an okay practice? Do I understand the load incorrectly?
You are not confused, you are correct. The rating of the 1 amp diode was exceeded, and that is not a good thing. Either a new diode with a higher rating should have been used, or two of the smaller 1 amp diodes should have been wired in parallel for a 2 amp capable circuit.

As cheap as diodes are, why WOULDN'T you do it the right way?
FastHotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #56
cwesterfield
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHotRod View Post
You are not confused, you are correct. The rating of the 1 amp diode was exceeded, and that is not a good thing. Either a new diode with a higher rating should have been used, or two of the smaller 1 amp diodes should have been wired in parallel for a 2 amp capable circuit.

As cheap as diodes are, why WOULDN'T you do it the right way?
Thanks, that was helpful. I thought I was missing something. I bought 20 of these for the odd/end jobs I want to do on my jeep. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8589

My plans are here - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/i...tance-1907626/

Thanks for the info about parallel, i did not know that.
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #57
jeepstillhaslif
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great idea. Just want more opinions on if water hits these kightsbor on rainy days when your driving and water is hitting under your body
jeepstillhaslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #58
686keydragon
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Mine are still installed and working fine after quite a few rainstorms, river crossings, and mud baths. So far they are holding up great.
686keydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #59
jacob1189
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As was mentioned, you can use two diodes to double the resistance. Sorry for confusing you, but I either thought my diodes had a higher resistance or already used two--I can't remember which. I will have to go unwrap some stuff to check.
Unread 01-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #60
jacob1189
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepstillhaslif View Post
Great idea. Just want more opinions on if water hits these kightsbor on rainy days when your driving and water is hitting under your body
Water/splashes = no sweat.

Clay mud (clumps to everything!) = just be a bit careful when you're cleaning it off.

Ice forming from thrown snow sticking to anything it can = make sure your wiring doesn't have too much slack...use zip ties or something to remove said slack.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.