DIY: Radio removal w pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > DIY: Radio removal w pics

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 03-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

DIY: Radio removal w pics

Will this oem radio fit my Jeep? (+full DIY radio removal w pics)

Summary:
2007 Wrangler Sahara
I have a RES radio without satellite button. I want a radio with satellite button, I must get my SIRIUS back. I have ordered an RES radio with SAT button, BUT a lot of places show 2008 and above. I am worried that I only have 1 harness instead of 2, but you will see that down in my pics later.

You start by removing the upper dash. You pry right in this crevice. It is large and you have plenty of room to pry without scratching anything. It pops up very easily like butter.

After popping both sides, you just pull up on the back:

Then you slide it forward and it comes off. Don't pull too hard! You might have your compass harness here like I do:

I did not disconnect the harness, you can just lay that piece carefully on the dash. Sometimes disconnecting things can trigger a CEL and I dont know Jeeps in that respect. VW's were very picky.

Next, you move to the lower dash cover. You pry from the top of it like this:

After popping both sides, it pulls forward like this:

See how it hooks into the bottom, and then the top snaps into place:

You then remove the 4 bolts from your large console frame. (No pics.)

Then, you start gently pulling. I pulled from the bottom. I then found out that is a good idea because most of the clips are at the bottom. I had 2 on each side near the bottom. This part was not quite as easy as the other covers, but did come off with very careful pursuasion. Don't just pull on the bottom and snap it. You need to get your fingers behind it to help push it from behind also. After the 4 clips at the bottom are popped, I had nothing in the middle and just 2 clips near the top. Then, it was out:

I was then looking at my radio, and the 4 bolts holding it in:

Remove your 4 bolts, then very carefully pull your radio out. I could tell mine had never been out, as it took some effort to pop it loose. I then found the following harnesses plugged into my deck:

My decks part number:

The only 2 harnesses back there:

I am a bit worried, as a lot of pictures of radios I have seen have 2 large harness plugged into them. I do not know if this RES SAT radio I ordered will work. I will find out tomorrow when it arrives.

Unread 03-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
YellowDuck
2008 JK Wrangler 

Awesome!!!

Very useful thread! Takes all the spookiness out of it - nothing like prying away at your dash covers for the first time when you don't know for sure how they are attached. I am book-marking this.

YellowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

The new RES with SAT worked fine, and the SAT button works. Now I'm just waiting for my antenna kit.
Unread 06-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Update to add some better info:

Slide out your 2 center vents before you even start this just to have more room to work and see behind it. The vents just twist to the left a tad and then pull right out. They go back in just as easily, twist to the right once seated.
Unread 07-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
dogshrimper
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info, I used this to install an RBZ MyGig in my 2010 JKU.

The MyGig works perfectly but since the install the compass has stopped working. I really hope it's loose connection under the first piece of trim that I removed, tracing this back all the way to the instrument panel will be a major PITA
dogshrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
dogshrimper
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
I did not disconnect the harness, you can just lay that piece carefully on the dash. Sometimes disconnecting things can trigger a CEL and I dont know Jeeps in that respect. VW's were very picky.
What's a CEL?
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogshrimper View Post
What's a CEL?
check engine light
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
dogshrimper
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks.

Didn't have a CEL after changing the head unit but I just did a recalibration of the compass as per the instructions in the manual. Compass is working again now.
Unread 08-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Did your radios work correctly once you put them in, or did you need to have the computer reflashed? I know if I add the Uconnect, I have to go back to the dealer to have it turned on.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
dogshrimper
2010 JK Wrangler 

Radio worked on its own, didn't need any dealer help. Just had to recalibrate the compass as mentioned before.

First time I turned it on, it displayed the Dodge logo which had me a bit worried. Came back next morning and it was saying Jeep on power up and has done since
Unread 08-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Awesome. Ordered one before figuring what the heck, if I have to go to the dealer I go to the dealer. $370 for a MyGig, um no brainer.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #12
BoomBoom
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the pics, been looking at a new radio but was a bit tentative to dig into the dash...
BoomBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
InDurango

Pics no longer work...
InDurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #14
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDurango View Post
Pics no longer work...
fixed
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #15
matikos98
2008 WK 

no after pics?

This is Sold but you can still look.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/m...2/#post7807352
matikos98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.