DIY Ammo Can Speakers (with pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > DIY Ammo Can Speakers (with pics)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
RobPincus

DIY Ammo Can Speakers (with pics)

Okay, I got the wife am '89 YJ for her birthday. The "aftermarket stereo" had a chopped off dowel rod jammed into it as a replacement tuner and there was one radio shack indoor/outdoor speaker mounted behind the passenger seat with exposed wiring.

The Jeep is an extra vehicle for fun running around in good weather, but we still needed some tunes.

I was inspired by another post to try the Ammo Can Speaker Box solution.

SEE BELOW. THANKS!

-RJP

Last edited by RobPincus; 09-06-2009 at 03:09 PM..
RobPincus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPincus View Post
Okay, I got the wife am '89 YJ for her birthday. The "aftermarket stereo" had a chopped off dowel rod jammed into it as a replacement tuner and there was one radio shack indoor/outdoor speaker mounted behind the passenger seat with exposed wiring.

The Jeep is an extra vehicle for fun running around in good weather, but we still needed some tunes.

I was inspired by another post to try the Ammo Can Speaker Box solution.

I went to a couple pawn shops yesterday looking for a deal on a radio that would accept an auxiliary input for Ipod, but didn't come up with anything. A stop into a local car audio place yielded a $119 Sony... after install, harness, taxes and running wire to the rear seat area I paid about $175. I also picked up a pair of 4" Boss M5's that were in the "used but working case" for the project. A stop at the Army/Navy yielded 2 boxes for $7 each. A stop at the hardware store for some Roll Gasket, spray paint and some nuts & bolts set me up for the project.

First Step: Prep Boxes.

Sand the rust off the ammo cans. I could've gone to a gun show and gotten "like new" cans for under $20 each, but I was in a rush to get the project done over the weekend.

Second Step: Base Paint.

Set a base layer of Primer. I knew I would need a couple coats, so I wanted to get one on before I did the drilling.

Third Step: Drilling for Speakers.

I printed out a pattern of dots and taped the template to the front of the box. After drilling the pattern I wanted for the sound to go through, I made another template for the mounting bolts out of Roll Gasket. I wanted to use the gasket to lessen the likelihood of rattle from the cans themselves.

Fourth Step: Another Coat of Paint.

After discussing with the wife, we decided that the flat primer gray actually matched the interior and the padding on the roll bar nicely. So, I put another coat on.

Fifth Step: Mount Boxes to Jeep.

I took the boxes out to the jeep and figured out where to place them so that the lids could still be opened. One of the nice things about this Speaker Box solution is that they can be used for some temporary storage also. In this case, mounting the front of the boxes (speaker side, not latch side) even with the front of the wheel well was going to be about perfect.
I put two 3/8ths inch hole straight through the box, the carpet, the wheel well and the liner. I put a third hole under the speaker to run the speaker wire through.

The truth is that the "third" hole was actually the 2nd one I drilled, intending to use it as a mounting point. Because of the curvature of the plastic wheel well liner, the drill bit did not reach down far enough to get through it. Even with the box removed, I couldn't get through the liner. A better craftsman would probably have put the time & effort into getting it right. My thought process was that even if I get through the liner, my intended mounting solution of a simple nut & bolt through everything wouldn't work if the liner wasn't flush against the wheel well itself. For this reason, I put the middle hole in last as the second mounting point.
I also put a textured roll gasket material in the bottom of the boxes to mitigate rattle from items that might end up in the boxes in the future.
With all the holes drilled and aligned, I ran the speaker wires under the carpet and up into the boxes, then put the two bolts in place for each box.

Sixth Step: Wire Speakers

Of course, I had tested the speakers before mounting them, but now it was time to do it for real. I don't remember why I bought a soldering iron and some solder many many years ago. This, however, was my big chance to use it... so I dug it out of the bottom of a closet and attached the wires to the speakers, covering the (sloppy) soldering job with some electrical tape.

Seventh: Attach Lids and check for rattles

After getting the lids on, I cranked the speakers up to REALLY LOUD and found a couple rattles. The first was on a Locking Nut & Bolt on one of the speakers. Apparently, while tightening the last bolts in place, I had taken up some slack and one there was a enough play on one corner of one speaker to allow it to rattle. Easy Fix.
The second rattle source was more subtle, but definitely present on both boxes. It was the wire handle on each side. this is a supplemental hoop of wire that it neither part of the latch or the top handle. Both boxes were getting a slight rattle from them and they served no real purpose for the project. After a little effort and a few minutes with some pliers, both were ripped off and the rattles were no more.

Lastly, one of the niece things about DIY is that it is also DIFY (Do it FOR yourself). I am sure that many would've spent more than an evening and one afternoon on this project and made the boxes look nicer or worked cleaner holes, paint and wiring. The fact is that I like the way the boxes look and their roughness matches the twenty year old vehicle pretty well. More importantly, the wife likes it and its her Birthday Jeep!

I hope this is helpful to anyone interested in this cheap and easy project.

-RJP

(not sure why pics aren't "live".. they show up in preview???)
click click for free ! Looks good, I like...

They didnt show up because tyou need something like 50 posts before you can. Also, infront of the link write [IMG] and at the end [/IMG]... will let you once you've hit 50
prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

ll second that. very nice write up especially for a new member to go and document somehting like this for the general public here.

nice install
JCR Stage 2 Sliders, IRO Trans Skid, Carolina Drive shaft, IRO exhaust
spife7980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Ruger1
1976 CJ7 

Very cool idea! I've got a bunch of ammo cans sitting around. I don't have a stereo in my 76 cj7 yet, but I also didn't want to spend a bunch on speaker boxes. I think I'll do the same thing, but figure out a way to make the boxes removeable since for the time being my jeep won't fit in the garage. Thanks for the build up and good pics!
Ruger1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
AUSHii
1999 XJ Cherokee 

WOw thats a crazy good idea and looks really good. Plus, everyone that sees your jeep wont touch it b/c your rocking ammo cans haha
Unread 09-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
RobPincus

I was actually on the way home from the gun show with two rifle cases sticking up behind the seats as well yesterday... got a couple of interesting looks at the stoplights!

-RJP
RobPincus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
PrivateMariano
1970 CJ5 

I was googling this expecting I was the first to think it up.....glad I wasn't looks great. I'm gonna do it to my 70 cj5
PrivateMariano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
JeepDrew_94
2000 WJ 

Once I get my YJ back from having a new motor and tranny installed, this is gonna be my first project. The write up helped out alot.
JeepDrew_94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.