disconnecting battery every time to start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > disconnecting battery every time to start

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
tbro1024
1996 XJ Cherokee 

disconnecting battery every time to start

96 Cherokee sport, when I try to start it is as if I have a dead battery, I go under the hood, disconnect battery and reconnect it, turn key and it starts right up. I've been dealing with this for a while and want to get it fixed but no one has heard of this before. Battery and cables have been replaced, new fuel pump, cleaned all grounds, inspected ignition wires.... please help

tbro1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Check the starter. Had a starter in another vehicle that was failing. It acted like a dead battery. Quick test si starting with the lights on. Does the lights light normal then dim completely when you try starting??
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
tbro1024
1996 XJ Cherokee 

When it happens everything goes dead, it's like I'm resetting the computer, got a pcm from a junk yard, I'm gonna give it a shot, starter is fine it's fairly new
tbro1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Remove the cable ends and clean them and the posts till they shine, then reinstall them and make sure they are good and tight.

You should not be able to wiggle them or move them in any way with your hands.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:15 AM   #5
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well this is a battery or starter issue. Maybe even an alternator. As suggested above clean both ends of all power and ground connections. Positive post, connector and connections to starter and fuse blocks. Then the same for the ground wires.

Check the battery voltage key off then watch it while starting the vehicle. If you start below 12.6V you have an issue. You could also pull the battery and starter. Then take it to AZ, ORilly's... And have them load test it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.