Deep Cycle Battery - JeepForum.com

2Likes
  • 2 Post By cranbiz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-16-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
OldJackTheJeep
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Deep Cycle Battery

Any recommendation for "best" deep cycle for use as power foe all the other stuff when parked on not running the engine. Not really wanting to do a true dual battery set up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-16-2017, 10:39 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You don't want a deep cycle battery, they're not a good choice for a Jeep... they don't have as much deep capacity or cranking amps. Their only benefit is they can get drawn down so the battery is dead without as much damage. Just get a good AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery with a good high 750-850 CCA rating and you'll be good to go. AGM batteries (which are not gel cells) are far more rugged than conventional wet acid batteries and better able to withstand the shocks and jolts of offroading. Leave the deep cycle batteries for boats, trailers, & golf carts.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-16-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
OldJackTheJeep
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Hmmm, ok this will be serving as power for a Kenwood and a Alinco ALA field shack. Any particular brand?

post #4 of 11 Old 02-16-2017, 04:02 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
when i wanted extended power to a camper that was used in remote areas I use two 6v deep cells in series.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old 02-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJackTheJeep View Post
Hmmm, ok this will be serving as power for a Kenwood and a Alinco ALA field shack. Any particular brand?
It doesn't really matter, most AGM batteries are well made. If the sky's the limit it'd be tough to beat the Odyssey PC1500. Bosch Platinum is a fine AGM battery too.

The one battery brand I would definitely avoid now, after having installed three of them into my TJs that all failed prematurely is Optima. Optima used to make superb batteries until Johnson Controls bought them and moved all of their manufacturing down to Mexico. Their reputation went into the toilet after that... of course all that is just my personal opinion.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #6 of 11 Old 02-16-2017, 05:20 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

When there is to be a lot of off alternator drain, I think there is no substitute for a second battery which can and should be a deep cycle. Any car battery has surprisingly little continuous power, especially converted to 110v ac which is what I suppose your field station set up consumes.

Tell us what the actual power consumption is and thaat will lead to a better answer.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #7 of 11 Old 02-17-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
OldJackTheJeep
2004 LJ Wrangler 

12v is what I'll be running. full power draw on both combined is 45A, but won't be using both at same time and not full power unless necessary. 50% duty cycle at best for short periods. Second battery is the point, just want it as a stand alone not tied to primary Jeep starting set-up.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-19-2017, 02:09 AM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJackTheJeep View Post
12v is what I'll be running. full power draw on both combined is 45A, but won't be using both at same time and not full power unless necessary. 50% duty cycle at best for short periods. Second battery is the point, just want it as a stand alone not tied to primary Jeep starting set-up.
Theoretical lead acid ah are notoriously just that, theoretical.

Assume performance is actually 60% ah of rating. 50% duty cycle (multiply by two), 45A load, 1000 ah rating, that's about 24 hours to DOA.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #9 of 11 Old 02-19-2017, 04:58 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Deep cycle batteries are designed for different loading. In a nutshell:

Deep cycles are for low to very moderate loads over extended periods of time and tolerate runing down very low. Conventional batteries are designed for heavy loads (cranking) for short periods of time and do not like running down low. The heavy load of cranking will deteriorate deep cycle batteries

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #10 of 11 Old 02-20-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
OldJackTheJeep
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the information folks!!
post #11 of 11 Old 02-21-2017, 12:03 PM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

If on a budget, consider the Advance Auto Platinum AGM battery. They are made by Enersys (who also make the Odyssey battery).

06 KJ
12 JK,2.5" Teraflex lift,Bilstein 5100's,BFG KO2's P305/65R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.