Daul 10" Inseat Sub Box With Lots Of Pics! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Daul 10" Inseat Sub Box With Lots Of Pics!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
nitwit527

Daul 10" Inseat Sub Box With Lots Of Pics!

FIRST HERES THE PICS!

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AauGzZy4ZNWLig

NOW HERES THE STORY ( not much of a writer, any questions ask)

A few weeks back i decided to tackle the task of putting in my own "system" in my jeep. I had never done this before but with the help of everyone on this site and a little research I was able to do it, And I must say I am 250% happy with my results.

Here are the links of the Equipment I purchased

Deck - http://sonicelectronix.com/item_6812.html
Subs - http://sonicelectronix.com/item_5529.html
Amp - http://sonicelectronix.com/item_6522.html
Amp Wiring Kit - http://sonicelectronix.com/item_3938.html

misc parts - polyfill, deck installation kit (came free with deck), smittybilt 6 speaker sound bar, ipod adapter, aux in monster cable

The deck installation went smoothly as well as the ipod adapter, but now the problem of bass! After poking around i found the "sirgcals stealth box" the plans where well thought out and worked for what I needed. So i got my subs and went to work. Me being a ******* paid no attention to the magnet size of the subs, when i purchased them i knew they where a lil deeper the the 5 inches that sirgs plans called for but i figured I'd make it work. yeah there 5.5 inches deep but the magnet is like 8 inches around! I ended up changing the whole design of the box, and basically built them around my subs. I picked up my materials and began cutting the wood. The box construction was a PITA, I am no craftsman, so i found myself making multiple cuts and shaving everything down to fit perfect. I eventually got everything perfect and began assembly on the box. Wood glue and sheet rock screws where my best friends that night. I Siliconed the inside joints and let it set for 48hours. I then wired the subs up (thanks www.the12volt.com) and stuffed the box to the gills with polyfill. mounted the subs in the box and then to the seat frame via aluminum L brackets. because my box was bigger then the sirg design I mounted the box at more of a steep angle. I rested the back of the box on my floor and the top to the front part of the frame. Rather then having the whole box lifted off the seat. I then installed the amp. I used a kicker C4 kit(60$ i get discount =) ) The wire is super flexible! I ran the power wire through the gromit by the brake pedal and along the left side of my truck and hid it under neath the wiring harness plastic cover. Then ran the RCA and Signal wire up my center console and under the carpet straight to the amp. Grounded the amp to the trunk bolts. I tested the subs outside the seat facing upward in my truck before cutting my seat apart! SUCCESS they slammed! Now the hard part! Cut some foam out of the seat and squeezed it all into the seat cover. ( which was a very tight squeeze). then i reassembled the seat and lifted the very heavy rig into place. Plugged everything back in and was AMAZED! They sounded exactly the same as when i had them facing upward with nothing in the way! BUT YEAH GOOD JOB ME! and many thanks to everyone that helped me out on this site. got questions ask'em

nitwit527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

hey nitwit way to go on the install. for your first time, even for your second or third time, i'd say this is a very nice job. i bet the 10" diamonds lob some air at ya.

looks good!
~J
Will be missed:
1999 "Deep Amethyst" TJ +3" on 33's
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
mylt1

how did you figure out what size box you needed? the cubic feet required isnt listed on the link for the subs.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
nitwit527

i didn't know specifically, but i looked on the web and i had a friend who had one 10inch in a .55 cubic foot box and it hit hard! so i figured i should get to as close to 1 cuft as I could, with the change in design i ended up with around .93 cuft but the polyfill def made up for it! I doubt it makes much of a difference if its .93 or 1.0 cuft, as long as your close, for example a box with around .05cuft more volume isn't going to sound much different,...its not rocket science and the tolerances can afford to be "close". <---MY OPINION
Unread 02-20-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
NCJEEPFAN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

great job man! i am getting ready to redo my interior and i will be doing Sirgcal's design too. i am curious about the foam in the seat, what did you use to trim the foam? how much did you have to trim? any pics of the trimming?
also where did you mount that amp? i looked at your pics but didn't see it.
thanks and again great job.

05 WK Laredo
4.7, 4wd......exhaust and gps coming soon!
NCJEEPFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Very impressive job...well done!
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
SirGCal

Very nice work. Good job making the box deeper for your specific needs. Diamonds are pretty forgiving on box size but .4-.8ft^3 is their sweet spot so that should do very nicely. Bet it hits like a train wreck!

Great job!

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #8
TJ_with_Tusks

looks sick. are you worried about damaging the woofers when the seat is folded up? Also, people already complain about my back seat. I bet yours is like a rock now, right? (not that I wouldn't do it anyway) just wondering.
33" BFG AT's, OME HD lift, front airbag suspension, teralow 4:1 kit & supershort shaft kit, TW CV shaft, 4.10 gears, JKS body lift, track bars and quicker disconects, Warn 9.5ti, warn front bumper, garvin wilderness rack, and solid cast aluminum tusks,
TJ_with_Tusks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #9
nitwit527

I cut the foam with an electric knife, the kind you use on thanksgiving for the turkey...lol worked out well, as far as the softness of the seat, its just as comfy, I cut out just enough(no specific measurement just shaved it as i needed), its a lil firmer but i still have at least and inch of foam in the thinest spot, But with that I also puffed up my seat a good inch and a half. The seat vibrates to much for people to notice its a little firmer lol..... I mounted the amp in my trunk and I am building a shelf over it...i will loose 2 inches of depth for my trunk space but i want to keep the amp hidden, and safe from water and mud when i wheel. I can flip the seat up no problem the subs clear just fine,so they dont scrap against the floor or anything like that, i dont do much hauling so im not worries about things damaging my subs. thanks all for the comments, any more questions feel free to ask

edit;;;

does hit like a train, 600 watts per sub is deadly

and no pics of the trimming, sorry
Unread 02-21-2007, 07:18 AM   #10
TJ_with_Tusks

cool. sounds awesome. what kind of shelf did you make above the amp? pics would be great.
33" BFG AT's, OME HD lift, front airbag suspension, teralow 4:1 kit & supershort shaft kit, TW CV shaft, 4.10 gears, JKS body lift, track bars and quicker disconects, Warn 9.5ti, warn front bumper, garvin wilderness rack, and solid cast aluminum tusks,
TJ_with_Tusks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
Sh4dowRac3r
1999 XJ Cherokee 

it sounded amazing mike, btw i dont think he finished the amp shelf/cover yet...

2001 Flame Red Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5Spd
Red Jeep Club Member 531
Sh4dowRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #12
bd0t

Way to improvise man! good to hear everything worked out.
Any of you guys think the installation would be much different on an YJ rear seat?
bd0t is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.