Dash Mounted Video Camera - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Dash Mounted Video Camera

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-20-2006, 12:43 PM   #1
PolloLoco
need more lemon pledge

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dash Mounted Video Camera

It's pretty easy, just a 3/8" bolt & nut, 2 large washers, 3 rubber washers, cheap ball head camera mount (cheap on ebay), and a video camera.

Take out the center dash cover, drill a 3/8" hole in it, put in the bolt, washers, and nut, screw on the ball head, and attach camera.

I have a video of a trip around the block, but I'm having issues with google video right now.

edit: after some use I've thought about using a locknut instead to keep the bolt from spinning, I first thought that if I tightened it well enough it wouldn't spin but I'm afraid of tightening it too much and breaking the plastic.

edit: my HDD camera complains of too much vibration. It wouldn't be a problem with a tape or solid-state digital video camera.

dashcam1_6x4.jpg   dashcam2_6x4.jpg   dashcamoutside_6x4.jpg  

Last edited by PolloLoco; 06-07-2009 at 01:16 PM..
PolloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

very cool.

try youtube for the video. much easier and faster.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

i love that CB mounting location, got any more pix of that setup?

oh and very nice job w/ the camera, you should add some to the underside now...give it a Xtreme 4x4 intro clip feel
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I hate people who live in Colorado. Over here that camera would be covered in mud and water thirty seconds after I hit the trail. I hate mud.

Nice set-ups, though. Any problems with windshield glare? And I'd like to see video from both.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2006, 08:05 PM   #6
kencaz

Looks nice but very top-heavy. You may find that one good jolt and it's going to rip a hole in your dash. Did you put a similar diameter washer on the underside?

KC

"I say we dust-off and nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure!"
kencaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
PolloLoco
need more lemon pledge

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencaz
Looks nice but very top-heavy. You may find that one good jolt and it's going to rip a hole in your dash. Did you put a similar diameter washer on the underside?

KC
Yes, I used large washers on both sides. I also used rubber washers between the pastic of the console and the metal washers on both sides. I'll let you know how it holds up when I go wheelin' next time.
Unread 11-20-2006, 08:10 PM   #8
PolloLoco
need more lemon pledge

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'll have to agree with the mud, I don't stay dry or clean when I go, I get all kinds of mud everywhere, especially with the top off. I have a lens protector on the camera, and I could slip a latex glove over the camera to protect the it.
Unread 11-20-2006, 08:14 PM   #9
PolloLoco
need more lemon pledge

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippert
i love that CB mounting location, got any more pix of that setup?
Yeah, I was searching around on the forum for cb setups and very few people have that setup, but I liked it and did it. I don't have any pics of it under the black cover, but I should really do that. Here's a couple pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippert
oh and very nice job w/ the camera, you should add some to the underside now...give it a Xtreme 4x4 intro clip feel
Like I said above, mud. But it would be cool.
Unread 11-21-2006, 11:42 AM   #10
Freewaydan

I just got a gps and a cam corder mount from these guys http://www.ram-mount.com/ I could not find a order page for them, so i went to www.gpszone.com and got them
Freewaydan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2006, 04:52 PM   #11
stathunter

Thanks Pollo-------looks good!

2004 [B]Black X[/B] w/ RE LA 37" SSR's, etc etc [url]http://www.je-ep.com/[/url]

[COLOR="Blue"]In Michigan? Call Jim from [url]www.Jeepin-Customizing.com[/url][/COLOR]
"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda
stathunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewaydan View Post
I just got a gps and a cam corder mount from these guys http://www.ram-mount.com/ I could not find a order page for them, so i went to www.gpszone.com and got them

This is how I mounted my GPS, but the arm for my video camera just clamps onto that other ball mount and the arm sits vertical. Simple.

The arm is from http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/acce...s-bracket.html and the mounting stuff comes from http://www.expressmounts.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
tulsarob
2008 JK Wrangler 

Decided to make a window mount today. Used the aluminum glass handler suction mount from Harbor freight, bout 7 bucks, a little alum angle and alum flat, screwed together.

The weather today wasn't too great, camera didn't focus as well as I wanted in places, not enough light I assume. It does great on a sunny day.

But the mount worked well I think. When I slowed down it performed better, which is how I intend to use it, for trail vids and such.

Easy to attach, take off, adjust. Don't think it will come off the window untill you want it to.

test vid..usin a canon fs 200
YouTube - Windshield mount test

pics

2008 JK Silver Rubicon, 2 dr, 6 spd, pwr windows, tow package, slush mats, lockin gas cap, lug nut locks, shorty antenna, woven-wire grill guard, Cobra 75WXST, Wilson 3' Flex Antenna, Teraflex ant bracket, Highrock element doors, RR Grab Handles,RR Fire Ext Holder, RR bumper,Smittybilt 8k winch,Daystar 3/4 coil spacer on front, Kilby engine skid, Rockhard transfer case skid, Poision Spyder evap skid
tulsarob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #14
newman_buddy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just made a mount for a video camera the other day. I used a ball head mount. I took off the center console and drilled a hole right in the center of the tray. Used a 3/8 bolt and screwed the ball head on the other side and remounted the console. It works great. and put a bolt through the tray in the center and then screwed the tripod head onto that. It works Great.
img_2289small.jpg   img_2294small.jpg  
newman_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #15
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did anyone with a dash cam submit a video to "life in a day?"

YouTube - lifeinaday's Channel
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.