Dash Mounted Video Camera - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Dash Mounted Video Camera

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Corbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!Bds suspension discount

Unread 11-20-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
PolloLoco
need more lemon pledge

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dash Mounted Video Camera

It's pretty easy, just a 3/8" bolt & nut, 2 large washers, 3 rubber washers, cheap ball head camera mount (cheap on ebay), and a video camera.

Take out the center dash cover, drill a 3/8" hole in it, put in the bolt, washers, and nut, screw on the ball head, and attach camera.

I have a video of a trip around the block, but I'm having issues with google video right now.

edit: after some use I've thought about using a locknut instead to keep the bolt from spinning, I first thought that if I tightened it well enough it wouldn't spin but I'm afraid of tightening it too much and breaking the plastic.

edit: my HDD camera complains of too much vibration. It wouldn't be a problem with a tape or solid-state digital video camera.

dashcam1_6x4.jpg   dashcam2_6x4.jpg   dashcamoutside_6x4.jpg  

Last edited by PolloLoco; 06-07-2009 at 12:16 PM..
PolloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

very cool.

try youtube for the video. much easier and faster.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

i love that CB mounting location, got any more pix of that setup?

oh and very nice job w/ the camera, you should add some to the underside now...give it a Xtreme 4x4 intro clip feel
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #4
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

jeepster93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I hate people who live in Colorado. Over here that camera would be covered in mud and water thirty seconds after I hit the trail. I hate mud.

Nice set-ups, though. Any problems with windshield glare? And I'd like to see video from both.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
kencaz

Looks nice but very top-heavy. You may find that one good jolt and it's going to rip a hole in your dash. Did you put a similar diameter washer on the underside?

KC

"I say we dust-off and nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure!"
kencaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
PolloLoco
need more lemon pledge

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencaz
Looks nice but very top-heavy. You may find that one good jolt and it's going to rip a hole in your dash. Did you put a similar diameter washer on the underside?

KC
Yes, I used large washers on both sides. I also used rubber washers between the pastic of the console and the metal washers on both sides. I'll let you know how it holds up when I go wheelin' next time.
Unread 11-20-2006, 07:10 PM   #8
PolloLoco
need more lemon pledge

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'll have to agree with the mud, I don't stay dry or clean when I go, I get all kinds of mud everywhere, especially with the top off. I have a lens protector on the camera, and I could slip a latex glove over the camera to protect the it.
Unread 11-20-2006, 07:14 PM   #9
PolloLoco
need more lemon pledge

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippert
i love that CB mounting location, got any more pix of that setup?
Yeah, I was searching around on the forum for cb setups and very few people have that setup, but I liked it and did it. I don't have any pics of it under the black cover, but I should really do that. Here's a couple pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippert
oh and very nice job w/ the camera, you should add some to the underside now...give it a Xtreme 4x4 intro clip feel
Like I said above, mud. But it would be cool.
Unread 11-21-2006, 10:42 AM   #10
Freewaydan

I just got a gps and a cam corder mount from these guys http://www.ram-mount.com/ I could not find a order page for them, so i went to www.gpszone.com and got them
Freewaydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2006, 03:52 PM   #11
stathunter

Thanks Pollo-------looks good!

2004 [B]Black X[/B] w/ RE LA 37" SSR's, etc etc [url]http://www.je-ep.com/[/url]

[COLOR="Blue"]In Michigan? Call Jim from [url]www.Jeepin-Customizing.com[/url][/COLOR]
"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda
stathunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 08:35 AM   #12
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewaydan View Post
I just got a gps and a cam corder mount from these guys http://www.ram-mount.com/ I could not find a order page for them, so i went to www.gpszone.com and got them

This is how I mounted my GPS, but the arm for my video camera just clamps onto that other ball mount and the arm sits vertical. Simple.

The arm is from http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/acce...s-bracket.html and the mounting stuff comes from http://www.expressmounts.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
tulsarob
2008 JK Wrangler 

Decided to make a window mount today. Used the aluminum glass handler suction mount from Harbor freight, bout 7 bucks, a little alum angle and alum flat, screwed together.

The weather today wasn't too great, camera didn't focus as well as I wanted in places, not enough light I assume. It does great on a sunny day.

But the mount worked well I think. When I slowed down it performed better, which is how I intend to use it, for trail vids and such.

Easy to attach, take off, adjust. Don't think it will come off the window untill you want it to.

test vid..usin a canon fs 200
YouTube - Windshield mount test

pics

2008 JK Silver Rubicon, 2 dr, 6 spd, pwr windows, tow package, slush mats, lockin gas cap, lug nut locks, shorty antenna, woven-wire grill guard, Cobra 75WXST, Wilson 3' Flex Antenna, Teraflex ant bracket, Highrock element doors, RR Grab Handles,RR Fire Ext Holder, RR bumper,Smittybilt 8k winch,Daystar 3/4 coil spacer on front, Kilby engine skid, Rockhard transfer case skid, Poision Spyder evap skid
tulsarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #14
newman_buddy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just made a mount for a video camera the other day. I used a ball head mount. I took off the center console and drilled a hole right in the center of the tray. Used a 3/8 bolt and screwed the ball head on the other side and remounted the console. It works great. and put a bolt through the tray in the center and then screwed the tripod head onto that. It works Great.
img_2289small.jpg   img_2294small.jpg  
newman_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did anyone with a dash cam submit a video to "life in a day?"

YouTube - lifeinaday's Channel
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.