dash lights, tail lights, parking lights stopped working, whats the deal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > dash lights, tail lights, parking lights stopped working, whats the deal?

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 01-31-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
bortz1892
1998 TJ Wrangler 

dash lights, tail lights, parking lights stopped working, whats the deal?

i just turned on my head lights like 2 nights ago and the whole dash cluster went out (but the functions light up, i.e. dumb shift light and gas gauge...), the ac controls, the tail lights (although brake lights work), and the orange side markers and running lights. the turn signals do work though. i checked the cluster fuse and its fine. but basically all the stuff that require that 12v illumination just won't turn on. is that a switch thing, or a bad ground, i feel like i'm definately not the first person to have this problem.

any help would be awesome, thanks guys.

bortz1892 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 02:01 AM   #2
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I recently had the same problem. and i spent a whole daychasing wires trying to find a bad ground. i would just trythe switch. i was angry when i put in a new switch and realized i spent a whole day messing with it and it could have taking about 3 minutes
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It won't be a bad ground as the dash and front/tail lamps have different grounds. Check fuse 1 behind the glove box. That gets power fron the same source as fuse two for the brake lamps so the fuse in the under hood Power Distribution Center (PDC) is OK. If the fuse is OK it is likly to be a problem with the switch or it's connector.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
link16
1988 MJ Comanche 

I hate jacking the thread, but I have a similar problem, my dimmer switch will turn on the footwell lighting but none of my dash illumination lights work. The radio light turns off when I turn the lights on. The fuse is fine and the bulbs are also fine. Could it be the dimmer switch?

-Alex
link16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
tkelley80905

when you guys talk about the switch , what switch are you talking about?
tkelley80905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Remmy
2005 WK 

You didnt just put an aftermarket radio in did you?
Remmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 04:17 AM   #7
dek8807
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same problem, and I actually DID just install an aftermarket system...
dek8807 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2009, 10:30 PM   #8
Remmy
2005 WK 

^ I believe you crossed the ill and dimmer together didnt you? If so, reverse fornicate it. Check for blown fuses. If there arent any... it might be a relay. If thats not it, you got problems.
Unread 07-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
dek8807
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I replaced the fuse, flipped the dash and parking lights on, and it blue another fuse. XD

When you say I crossed the ill and dimmer together, what does that mean?
I'm basically a 2nd grader when it comes to electrical.

The stereo works perfectly and all, but...I can't exactly drive at night with no parking lights. Haha.
dek8807 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #10
Remmy
2005 WK 

the orange wire and the orange/white wires are likely crossed together from the radio wires. For some reason tail lights and dash lights are on the same relay.
Unread 08-06-2009, 07:44 AM   #11
cvaria

I'm having this problem now and

after reading through this thread, i still have no idea what's going on. not to be a ****** but all of the responses are fragmented. how do i fix the issue? change fuse 1?
cvaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
thediggler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Just a guess did you check the msfw fuse?
thediggler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #13
xxodyzxx
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortz1892 View Post
i just turned on my head lights like 2 nights ago and the whole dash cluster went out (but the functions light up, i.e. dumb shift light and gas gauge...), the ac controls, the tail lights (although brake lights work), and the orange side markers and running lights. the turn signals do work though. i checked the cluster fuse and its fine. but basically all the stuff that require that 12v illumination just won't turn on. is that a switch thing, or a bad ground, i feel like i'm definately not the first person to have this problem.

any help would be awesome, thanks guys.
i have the same problem it just happen yesterday like 3 day before i replace the brake switch then every the was fine. i went to school after school i was driven and i used my left turn signal and my miles where blinking as the turn signal was then i turn my lights on and my radio lights where blind idk what to do
xxodyzxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #14
Furoner

It's a small (5 amp?) fuse in a drop down bin down where youpark your left foot. you'll need a torch.
Furoner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.