dash electrical issues -gauges going nuts, radio turning off, brake service lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > dash electrical issues -gauges going nuts, radio turning off, brake service lights

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 04-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
ironj32

dash electrical issues -gauges going nuts, radio turning off, brake service lights

all of a sudden today i started experiencing very random, various electrical issues. here are some of the things that were happening:
*my digital odometer was flickering
*my radio was turning every few minutes (only would go out for 2 or 3 seconds, then come back on)
*my "Brake" and also my "ABS" services lights were on and off
*my voltmeter would rise up to about 1 notch past 14 (midway) while i would accelerate, and then drop back to 14 once going a steady speed. this wouldn't happen all the time, just randomly...most of the time it is always at 14, even when accelerating
*when i turned the jeep off, it would basically act dead (normally radio gauges will stay on, and power windows will work until i open the door). i then tried to turn the jeep back on, but it acted like it had no power at all (as if it were in Drive or something). however, once i put my foot on the brake it let me start it. also at this time my radio had been "reset"...all of my preset channels as well as my clock was reset.
*my speedometer was also bouncing around....like rising and falling from 10-60 mph, when i was only going maybe 15.

does anyone have any thoughts on what this might be? i have a 2000 grand cherokee, limited, 4x4, with the V8.
thanks!

ironj32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
WJ2k

Same problem

I'm having the exact same issues, just started today. Were you able to figure out what the cause was?
WJ2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
ironj32

I never was able to figure out exactly what it was. The only thing I did to troubleshoot it was to disconnect and reconnect the battery power cable. This seemed to reset it each time. I actually made it about the last 12 months without it happening. I ended up selling the Jeep not too long ago. Sorry I can't help more.
ironj32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.