Custom TJ/LJ Center Console Sub Enclosure - Pre-Build questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Custom TJ/LJ Center Console Sub Enclosure - Pre-Build questions

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
Mtnduey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Custom TJ/LJ Center Console Sub Enclosure - Pre-Build questions

So I just got my 05' LJ ~2 weeks ago and I'm ready to improve the audio.

First off many thanks to all the folks who have already posted so many tips on the center sub, amplification of replacements, etc...

Second, I'm trying to make this as stealth an install as possible as well as retain all the cabin & storage space I can. I'm starting with the sub b/c it's going to take the longest to build

I'm about to go take the center console out and measure for how much room I have to work with for a replacement center console sub enclosure. Injection Molded Plastic doesn't give great resonance and I'm looking at the 8" Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW800F which is a shallow mount sub. I have plenty of amplification to go to all 4.1 speakers (dash, overhead + sub) so that's not a worry.

I was curious if anyone else has already done the measurements for the center console enclosure and if they would share their box build experience, dimensions used, lessons learned, pics, warnings/cautions, preferred expletives/choice of brew to induce coma for when it goes wrong, etc...

Thanks in advance!

Unread 05-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Check out my old thread. I think it should answer most your questions. Post up if you need something that's not there.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...center+console

Sienna Jeep Club - Member #8
Plans and pics, put an 8" sub in your TJ center console
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Mtnduey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

awesome thanks!

After having done this once already, would you do anything differently if you were to do it again?
Unread 05-17-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Having done it twice, you are looking at what I did differently!

I rushed the first one more, and the biggest mistake was using corregated cardboard from a regular shipping box and fiberglass mat. The cardboard was already a good 1/4" thick, and once I glassed it with a big mess of mat the fiberglass portion was probably 1/2" thick. This kept me from being able to flush mount the sub like I had planned (at that point everything but the box face was in place).

Also, please note in the build pics there is a small indent that I don't have on the drawing. This is for the bracket by the parking brake. You can kind of make it out in the center of the fiberglass in this pic.

You could avoid this by making the 3" tall dimension more like 3.5", but I chose to form around the bracket.

In the background you can just see part of the crappy 1st attempt box. I had to screw plastic spacers to the face to keep the sub from hitting the console since I didn't have enough depth to flush mount.
Sienna Jeep Club - Member #8
Plans and pics, put an 8" sub in your TJ center console
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Florida_Model
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Are you planning on custom building the entire box? ive seen some people modify the factory console to fit the larger sub, one case they fit a 10, but it doesnt exactly look stealth when the whole console is modified haha. I installed a 6w3v3 in my factory console, and it had to be modified bc of the excursion and the magnet, but do post pics when you are finished i love seeing other peoples designs!

oh and forewarning, on the excursion note, watch where you place the sub, mine had an excursion of only 8.89mm and it would push out past the console and hit my seat belt and seat. so just keep in mind the clearance there, it didnt damage it, but it muffled some of the notes.
Unread 05-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

it's worth it to put in the effort to build the new enclosure since the factory enclosure is plastic which isn't the best for sound quality. As for the excursion clearance you can cut away the slats in the factory enclosure and put on a new grill for the sub.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Florida_Model
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
it's worth it to put in the effort to build the new enclosure since the factory enclosure is plastic which isn't the best for sound quality. As for the excursion clearance you can cut away the slats in the factory enclosure and put on a new grill for the sub.
Thats what i was talking about. I removed the slats in the factory enclosure and it was pounding against my seat and seat belt.

and x2 on new enclosure i can vouch that the plastic hindered the sound quality of my JL
Unread 05-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Remove the slats and put a new grill...don't just cut the slats. Not to mention you modified the oem enclosure which puts the sub closer to the outer console...if you build a new enclosure this won't be the case as the opening can be routed to make the sub sit in more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-8-STEEL-WAF...3A1%7C294%3A50
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
Florida_Model
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
Remove the slats and put a new grill...don't just cut the slats. Not to mention you modified the oem enclosure which puts the sub closer to the outer console...if you build a new enclosure this won't be the case as the opening can be routed to make the sub sit in more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-8-STEEL-WAF...3A1%7C294%3A50
I posted as a forewarning of what not to do. I dont believe my enclosure was any closer than the factory location, the back end of the box was modified to accomodate for the sub, not the end close to the console opening. but i agree with you, the grills are a necessity, they just would not work with my setup.
Unread 05-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I was agreeing with you too. I modified the factory enclosure the same way you did but used an ED 7" and yes the grill is necessary. It's that the surround and excursion of the aftermarket sub requires more space not the enclosure creating the problem. When you're building a new enclosure you can compensation rather than trying to make due with the factory enclosure.
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #11
RUNIT
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Model View Post
Are you planning on custom building the entire box? ive seen some people modify the factory console to fit the larger sub, one case they fit a 10, but it doesnt exactly look stealth when the whole console is modified....

True, but I still have people ask me where the sub is. They turn around to look for it...People that don't know Jeeps will not notice.
RUNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
Florida_Model
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNIT View Post

True, but I still have people ask me where the sub is. They turn around to look for it...People that don't know Jeeps will not notice.
You are who i was referring to! haha I love your setup though
Unread 05-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #13
RUNIT
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Model View Post
You are who i was referring to! haha I love your setup though
Thanks

To the OP :

If you are able to find the spec's of your sub, look for the Xmax. Make sure the woofer surround is at least that far from the the surface of the grille.

In my subwoofer set-up, I had to make room for 15mm of Xmax.

With most subwoofers, the suspension (surround/spider combo) will allow the diaphragm to move farther than the Xmax spec. However, the voice coil is no longer in the magnetic gap so distortion will be going up anyway...

If your woofer is just too deep and you must cut the plastic factory grille, just use a dremel or rotozip tool to cut the plastic. Then you can screw in a new one over the hole. I think a home audio in-wall grille would look nice. Just paint it black.
RUNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #14
Mtnduey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

the Kenwood Excelon 8" shallow mount sub is only 6.5mm xmax (about 1/4") so if I recess the sub just slightly it shouldn't rub or anything. I'm planning on adding a bit of speaker cloth over the factory speaker grill to help keep it stealthy. If I need to cut out the factory grille or make a new one I have some ideas for that as well, though I hope to be able to just use the speaker cloth trick.

For the box itself:
I'm planning on using 1/2" HDF and a combination of liquid nails and screws to put everything together, I'll still need to use some Poly fill to get closer to the desired volume tho as even with 1/2" hdf I'll still be short on internal volume.

@ Adam728 - yeah after some careful measuring I figured the best plan is to make that section 3.5" to clear the e-brake properly.

@ Florida Model - I'm not going to re-make the entire center console as some others have done, which looks great but much more bass than I personally need, but I am going to build an entirely new sub enclosure for inside the console. My goal is to maximize use of the available space inside the center console while not detracting from the factory look of the Jeep. Beyond that I want everything to work as if it were stock and unaltered (e-brake, etc..).

Thanks also for the reminder on xmax, it's easy to overlook and when spending this kind of time and $$$ on the project, dont wanna do it more than once.
Unread 05-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
Florida_Model
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hey no prob, be sure to post pics when you are done!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.