JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/)
-   -   Custom Sub Box (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/custom-sub-box-1235758/)

peytonimor7 07-05-2011 03:40 PM

Custom Sub Box

It's basically impossible to find a JL Audio Stealthbox for a GC WJ. And they're a pretty penny if you do find one. How difficult would it be for me to make my own?

Thomahawk 07-05-2011 04:23 PM

^^^x2???

peytonimor7 07-06-2011 08:11 AM

I'm assuming it's even HARDER to find one in Norway. And if you do, I'm sure it's twice as expensive. I feel your pain :( Making our own will probably be the best option.

Thomahawk 07-06-2011 09:32 AM

Yeah!, pain. Lol.

Pain is just cowardice leaving your body.

I Will problebly make My own when i start My audio project.

SirGCal 07-06-2011 10:13 AM

Making any of these boxes isn't "difficult" per-say... IT's simply about how much skill the builder has to how difficult it will be. If you take someone who'e never seen a table-saw, fiberglass, etc. and told him to build an elaborate box, to them it would be difficulty of infinity! But to anyone who knows how to use the tools, it's a simple build. To someone familiar with the tools but not the specifics of box building, it is only mildly complicated...

So the questions really are, how much do you know. That's going to tell you how hard it's going to be. If you happen to have seen a saw once in shop class, I'd find someone else to either teach you or build it for you.

SirGCal 07-06-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomahawk (Post 11813652)
Yeah!, pain. Lol.

Pain is just cowardice leaving your body.

I Will probably make My own when i start My audio project.

God I wish that was true... Then I could just say I was a bloomin coward that won't seem to stop... Being always in pain truly sucks... (My MS makes me always feel like I've been lit on fire... The super-weird thing is; it's amazing what the mind will get used to... I actually burned my self (3rd degree) at a cookout not long ago because I didn't even notice my arm smokin...)

Anyhow, sorry for the off-topic but... Back to our regularly scheduled program... If anyone wants to continue this, I get PMs constantly. Feel free. Otherwise let's try to stay on topic here.

Thomahawk 07-06-2011 10:18 AM

I have Been building sub boxes and done alot of wood work and audio systems in the past, also played around abit with fiber glas when i was in the boat buisness.

SirGCal 07-06-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomahawk (Post 11813894)
I have Been building sub boxes and done alot of wood work and audio systems in the past, also played around abit with fiber glas when i was in the boat buisness.

Then for you it should be pretty simple. You just need to learn the specifics about this box with your planned sub and set out the project to paper.

Thomahawk 07-06-2011 11:28 AM

O'yeah. I Will, but this project have to Wait a little bit. I am Waiting to build up some $ to Go for the complete system at once, have done alot of resurch and now i know what i want/need, recently i used alot on maintainence and power upgrades, exhaust, super chip, Shocks. So its not on the top of the list Really yet. Also need an addco rear swaybar first. Never ending story..........

TJDaveC 07-06-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peytonWJ (Post 11810286)
It's basically impossible to find a JL Audio Stealthbox for a GC WJ. And they're a pretty penny if you do find one. How difficult would it be for me to make my own?

Like SirGCal said, it all depends on how your woodworking abilities are. You don't have to make it out of fiberglass. Look up the needed airspace on the subs you plan on using, find out if they work better with sealed, vented, or ported boxes, then build it according to the specs you find. All it takes is some particle board, wood glue, screws, carpet, and wire disconnects. You can build a decent box for less than $50. :2thumbsup:

The time now is 02:30 PM.