Are crossovers worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Are crossovers worth it?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 05-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
CoopDogg
2001 WJ 

Are crossovers worth it?

I like the idea of having crossovers hooked up to the speakers, but I'm unsure if they are really worth it? Has anyone put them in?

CoopDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
lemiller
2001 WJ 

Are you running an after market audio system? If not, do you have the infinity system with the stock amplifier under the rear seat?
lemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
CoopDogg
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemiller View Post
Are you running an after market audio system? If not, do you have the infinity system with the stock amplifier under the rear seat?
I do have the infinity with stock Amp but I'm replacing the system all at the same time
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Typically, amps have crossovers built in. Amp it rather than crossover IMO.
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
CoopDogg
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJeep97 View Post
Typically, amps have crossovers built in. Amp it rather than crossover IMO.
Sounds like the cheaper route too
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
lemiller
2001 WJ 

well if you plan on running tweeters up front, you will certaintly need crossovers to filter out frequencies. If you wont be running tweeters then you probably wont need them and can use the amps built in HPF and LPF (assuming it has them). What head unit, speakers, amp are you planning on running? you going to add a subwoofer as well?
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
CoopDogg
2001 WJ 

Quote:
well if you plan on running tweeters up front, you will certaintly need crossovers to filter out frequencies. If you wont be running tweeters then you probably wont need them and can use the amps built in HPF and LPF (assuming it has them). What head unit, speakers, amp are you planning on running? you going to add a subwoofer as well?
Still deciding on if I want to suck it up and go double din out not, I'm thinking either Rockford fosgate or alpine for speakers and then a kicker cvr sub maybe an L7
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
CoopDogg
2001 WJ 

And I'll definitely be running a 4 channel amp for the speakers and then a monoblock for the sub. I want to throw in some 3.5in.tweeters where the stock ones are
Unread 05-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDogg View Post
And I'll definitely be running a 4 channel amp for the speakers and then a monoblock for the sub. I want to throw in some 3.5in.tweeters where the stock ones are
I personally don't find tweeters necessary. See what you think with new speakers and a 4 channel first to save some cash. I highly recommend Alpine amps, they put out TONS of clean power for comparatively low costs.

I'm running an Alpine 4 channel 500W RMS to my front and sound bar 5.25's, and a 500W RMS Alpine monoblock to my type R sub and I couldn't be happier.
Unread 05-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
CoopDogg
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJeep97 View Post

I personally don't find tweeters necessary. See what you think with new speakers and a 4 channel first to save some cash. I highly recommend Alpine amps, they put out TONS of clean power for comparatively low costs.

I'm running an Alpine 4 channel 500W RMS to my front and sound bar 5.25's, and a 500W RMS Alpine monoblock to my type R sub and I couldn't be happier.
I'll check them out forsure. Any opinion on Rockford fosgate speakers?
Unread 05-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
lemiller
2001 WJ 

Duuble din head units are nice but in my opinion they arent really worth the money (to me they are more for show) anywho...fosgate speakers are a quality speaker. The best way to buy speakers though is to go down to a local electronics store (best buy or similar) and listen to a bunch of differnt brands/models of speakers (definitly look at the Polk Audio MM series). Everyones ear is different, so what sounds good to others may not sound the best to you. For your amplifier try to stick with Class D amps, they will run more efficient and cooler (Alpine is a very good brand). If you want tweeters then buy a component set (these will come with tweeters, door speakers, and crossovers).

My set up includes, pioneer head unit, Focal components w/1" tweeters and 6.5" door speakers (had to modify the door to fit) up front, 6x9 Polk Audio MM691 in the rear (again had to modify the door). These are powered by a Polk Audio PA660.4 amplifier. Also have a 12" Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 subwoofer powered by an Xtant 121M amplifier. To me this sounds great.
Unread 05-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #12
CoopDogg
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Duuble din head units are nice but in my opinion they arent really worth the money (to me they are more for show) anywho...fosgate speakers are a quality speaker. The best way to buy speakers though is to go down to a local electronics store (best buy or similar) and listen to a bunch of differnt brands/models of speakers (definitly look at the Polk Audio MM series). Everyones ear is different, so what sounds good to others may not sound the best to you. For your amplifier try to stick with Class D amps, they will run more efficient and cooler (Alpine is a very good brand). If you want tweeters then buy a component set (these will come with tweeters, door speakers, and crossovers).

My set up includes, pioneer head unit, Focal components w/1" tweeters and 6.5" door speakers (had to modify the door to fit) up front, 6x9 Polk Audio MM691 in the rear (again had to modify the door). These are powered by a Polk Audio PA660.4 amplifier. Also have a 12" Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 subwoofer powered by an Xtant 121M amplifier. To me this sounds great.
Where'd you get your adapter plate at for the front doors. I've seen a couple of them with the tweeter hole.
Unread 05-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #13
lemiller
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDogg View Post
Where'd you get your adapter plate at for the front doors. I've seen a couple of them with the tweeter hole.
oh sorry for the confusion, I have the tweeters in the same location as stock. What I did was cut the tweeter speaker out of the mounting "cage" and then mounted my new tweeter into it. There for it will bolt up to the exact stock location.

I had to use an adapter plate to fit the 6.5" round speakers into the front doors (believe it has an opening for a 6x8 or 6x9). For this, I went to Walmart and bought a cutting board made out of hard plastic. Then made my own adapter plates. This is much stiffer (so reduces flexing) then what you will buy online.

If I have time tonight, I can try to take some pics of my set-up for you.
Unread 05-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #14
CoopDogg
2001 WJ 

Quote:
oh sorry for the confusion, I have the tweeters in the same location as stock. What I did was cut the tweeter speaker out of the mounting "cage" and then mounted my new tweeter into it. There for it will bolt up to the exact stock location.

I had to use an adapter plate to fit the 6.5" round speakers into the front doors (believe it has an opening for a 6x8 or 6x9). For this, I went to Walmart and bought a cutting board made out of hard plastic. Then made my own adapter plates. This is much stiffer (so reduces flexing) then what you will buy online.

If I have time tonight, I can try to take some pics of my set-up for you.
That would be great if you could get some pictures tonight, Thanks!
Unread 05-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #15
CoopDogg
2001 WJ 

So if I'm installing an amp for the sub and an amp for the speakers, do I need a 6 channel Head unit?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.