Console sub replacement options - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Console sub replacement options

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
brewc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepZJlover View Post
I tried the kicker sub based off info on here I was so unimpressed with its performance I sent it back I highly recommend trying the quadratec sub. With that said I did neither I fixed my existing sub and ran window urethane around the foam bead that was broke and it hasn't missed a beat yet...cost of doing that FREE!!!
What type of Urethane did you use, some black auto windshield stuff from auto parts store?

brewc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #17
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This is getting annoying not being able to post pictures cuz its above the forums size limit. But the stuff is BETASEAL U_418 quick cure primerless to auto glass urethane adhesive made by Dow automotive. Remember this trick may not work for all situations but so far mine has held like this for a year and a half...knock on wood
1993 Cherokee 4dr SE green, 4.0, Auto, HP30, 8.25, 3" lift 31" Goodyear Duratracs, Custom made front recovery bumper, Kenwood radio, 12" alpine type e subwoofer,alpine amplifier, Smittybilt xrc8 winch, tuff stuff portable winch receiver custom modified. 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0, 5 speed, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 trac loc rear, Stock
JeepZJlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #18
brewc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! figure I'll pull it out and try it as a repair before deciding to order a new sub.
Unread 05-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #19
Ro66y
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I second the kickers. I have some in my Jeep and LOVE them.
Ro66y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro66y View Post
I second the kickers. I have some in my Jeep and LOVE them.
Did you run a separate amp? What are the specs on your kicker?
1993 Cherokee 4dr SE green, 4.0, Auto, HP30, 8.25, 3" lift 31" Goodyear Duratracs, Custom made front recovery bumper, Kenwood radio, 12" alpine type e subwoofer,alpine amplifier, Smittybilt xrc8 winch, tuff stuff portable winch receiver custom modified. 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0, 5 speed, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 trac loc rear, Stock
JeepZJlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #21
brewc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

any updates?
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #22
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For a brief period I had an elemental designs EU-700 in the center console (before the kicker existed). Having a nice aftermarket sub is going to sound light years beyond anything you can do to the factory sub or with a cheap replacement.
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #23
speedyrev
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just finished replacing the stock sub with the one from Pyle. I believe it is better than the Pyramid and the Kicker because it is a true dual voice coil. With the other mods I've seen, they only use one side of the amp. This takes advantage of all the juice the little stock unit makes.

You can use any of the walkthroughs that have already been done, it's pretty much straight forward. It is a thicker speaker, so cutting the fins from inside the box with a dremel or razor blade is necessary to make room. You also have to drill new mounting holes on the inside box to line up with the speaker. I didn't need any other hardware other than I used some speaker mounting tape under the speaker rim. I also filled the box with polyfill.

Sounds awesome. Obviously if you want more bass, you need a better speaker and an external amp. This is just a $20 mod that sounds better than the stock one.
speedyrev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #24
brewc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How about wiring it up, did you take any pictures?
Unread 05-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #25
speedyrev
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wiring is easy. There are two sets of wires to the stock sub. Mine were Brown/Grey and red/black (+/-). The pyle has two sets of spade terminals. Just move them over and keep the polarity right.

Any pics I would have taken are already in other threads.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/h...woofer-579589/
speedyrev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #26
brewc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used th 3m urethane all the way around the cone fixed it real nice, working like new now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.