Compact Amps: Clarion XC1410 vs Alpine KTP-445U - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Compact Amps: Clarion XC1410 vs Alpine KTP-445U

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Compact Amps: Clarion XC1410 vs Alpine KTP-445U

Has anyone recently installed either one of these units? I'm looking for a compact amp that will help out the very poor sound in my JK. I'll most likely be pairing this up with new speakers all around and a head unit. I like the compact amps due to their size and I should be able to stuff them in the dash somewhere. The Clarion seems to be better spec wise but any insight on either would be much appreciated.

Here's a link for spec comparison:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IsNQr9W...ower-Pack.html

Clarion XC1410:
x020xc1410-f-500.jpg

Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack:
x500ktp445u-f-500.jpg

Thanks!

ciphershort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Anybody?
Unread 05-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
Jrob05

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have the alpine paired with an alpine HU. It works well. I branched a power feed to the unit off the sub and inverter mounted under the steering column.

Are you looking to boost the factory system or putting a system together?
Jrob05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Well be it that my current stock head unit likes to eat CDs (won't eject them all the time) and my passenger front speaker is shot, I'm probably looking at replacing everything. The Clarion seems to give out more power so I was kind of leaning that way but wanted to get some feedback. Both units have great reviews.
Unread 05-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
Jrob05

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Being you are replacing everything over time. Base your power choice on which head unit you settle on. Plug and play is kinda nice. I can clearly hear my alpine system with dedicated amp for the 6.5 sub in the center console with the top off at 65+. Pick your HU first is your using one of these compact amps.
Jrob05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
nnovickzj
1997 ZJ 

alpine better company in my opinion
nnovickzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking I probably won't be putting in a sub. I'm looking for a good inexpensive HU to start with. Any suggestions on where to start? I've heard good things about Pioneer and Kenwood. I'm also thinking ill do new tweeter and mid range speakers up front and speakers with built in tweeters for the sound bar. That sound like a good direction to start with?
Unread 05-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
06blacklj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have the clarion installed it's solid but I'm already looking to upgrade it had it for a month it does not dissipate heat well and has over heated multiple times sitting behind the dash of my 06 lj but sq is very good and plenty of power for my2 components up front 5.25 in speaker pods if i can find an adequate spot for ventilation I'll end up keeping because it can make your ears bleed
06blacklj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #9
06blacklj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Also wire them with at least 8 guage
06blacklj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Ok so here's what I'm thinking for my setup. Let me know if I should change anything.

Clarion XC1410 Amp
Polk Audio DB6501 Components Speakers in the front dash
Polk Audio DB651 Coaxial Speakers in the sound bar

Can anyone recommend a good head unit to complete this?
Unread 05-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you're doing a head unit too, I would do the Alpine powerpack and an alpine headunit. I put an Alpine in my 05 back in 2007 and it's still running strong.
Unread 05-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Get a load of this little amp. They also make a mono version for subwoofers. The 4 channel can be ran 3 channel for subwoofers if needed.

I've done a little research on these, and they seem to be pretty decent, and quite powerful for its size.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...NVX-MVPA4.html

If you don't really need a CD player because you use an ipod or andriod phone or whatever, look into the new media players that forgo a cd drive all together. I just bought a Pioneer model and use a 128gb USB thumb drive that holds every single song I own. The Pioneer is a nice unit and dirt cheap.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/MVH-X560BT

AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #13
BCrawford64
1997 ZJ 

I actually have the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 and it's awesome. VERY small. And well worth the money.
BCrawford64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #14
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have installed several 445A units (straight plug and play for the Alpine Head Units) and they have all performed flawlessly. I really like the simplicity and for most listeners plenty of power even with the top down at interstate speeds. I have no experience with the Clarion but given the info posted above about having it overheat I would probably steer clear, the extra 5 watts of power is probably not noticeable (although at 2 ohm 75 watts looks nice but may cause it to overheat). Which ever one you do run I highly recommend running a thicker gauge power and ground wire (not the stock wires) straight from the battery or a power block (make sure you properly fuse, 15 amp should be suffice).

My Rig

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1072569/
bbusch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #15
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCrawford64 View Post
I actually have the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 and it's awesome. VERY small. And well worth the money.
This is what I have and it fits behind my stock and tuffy glove box.
gregstudeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.