Cherokee Electrical Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Cherokee Electrical Problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 07-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
the_red_ranger
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Cherokee Electrical Problems

Hello all, my Jeep is a 2001 XJ Cherokee Sport 4.0 Liter 6-cylinder that has roughly 130,000 miles on the car and 90,000 on the engine (the original engine 'blew up'). The problems I'm having with it are as follows:
1.) I currently only have sound coming out of my two rear speakers, my door ones don't work at all.
2.) Sometimes the electric windows won't roll down on the passenger and rear doors, but they will roll down when controlled on the driver's door.
3.) I have a keychain remote that will lock/unlock and start/shut off the engine, but the trunk open doesn't work.
4.) The air conditioning works but it's more like a cool breeze than A/C.

Thank you in advance for any help!

the_red_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_red_ranger View Post
Hello all, my Jeep is a 2001 XJ Cherokee Sport 4.0 Liter 6-cylinder that has roughly 130,000 miles on the car and 90,000 on the engine (the original engine 'blew up'). The problems I'm having with it are as follows:
1.) I currently only have sound coming out of my two rear speakers, my door ones don't work at all.rs

Try the fader to the front speakers only,....still no sound? possible blown output of the radio's amplify. Upgrade radio.

2.) Sometimes the electric windows won't roll down on the passenger and rear doors, but they will roll down when controlled on the driver's door.

check the Window motor fuse and relay to the control module.

3.) I have a keychain remote that will lock/unlock and start/shut off the engine, but the trunk open doesn't work.

possibel failing truck release solenoid module

4.) The air conditioning works but it's more like a cool breeze than A/C.

Check the R134 fluid level by refilling the compressor. Possible failing compressor, heat exchanger or leaky hoses

Thank you in advance for any help!

Good luck
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
alexherb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

1. Cherokees are notorious for wires going bad in the door jamb boot.

2. see 1

3. Did it ever open the trunk? Do cherokees have an electirc trunk release (thought it was manual)?

4. refill it, if that works then goes away youve got a leak.
alexherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
the_red_ranger
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks a lot!
thetotallyawesomeflyingLiberty- I have already tried that by installing a nice JVC cd stereo.
Alex- How do I get the boot off? And I'm not sure, I've been told the keychain remote is aftermarket.
the_red_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
alexherb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

im %99.9999 sure a 2001 xj never came with a factory remote starter so that would have to be after market.

bout %89 sure cherokees dont have a factory trunk pop sylonoid so that would also have to be aftermarket.

as far as the boot you should be able to just pull the rubber away from the door or the body or both. Dont know if youll be able to see breaks in the wiring that way though. may have to pull door completely to get a good look at it.
alexherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
habeba86
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexherb View Post
im %99.9999 sure a 2001 xj never came with a factory remote starter so that would have to be after market.

bout %89 sure cherokees dont have a factory trunk pop sylonoid so that would also have to be aftermarket.

as far as the boot you should be able to just pull the rubber away from the door or the body or both. Dont know if youll be able to see breaks in the wiring that way though. may have to pull door completely to get a good look at it.
Ive never seen an xj with a factory r/s either, but on my build sheet it said remote start delete as a spec, thought it was weird.
habeba86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.