Check my accessory wiring diagram - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Check my accessory wiring diagram

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Check my accessory wiring diagram

I suck at wiring...I want to run an electric fan. I want it to kick on with a thermostatic switch, or turn on when I flip a dash switch, or be off completely for water crossings, etc.

I was looking at a few wiring diagrams online, and came up with the following options:

Using two relays I came up with this idea, using a DPDT switch.

I could see using a DPDT switch to energize either the t-stat or an always on with one single relay...but would I need a diode here to prevent current traveling back to the t-stat?

I'm not sure i've got the DPDT wired right. Any suggestions?

Also, using a SPST switch...I found this on Summit Racing:

So will this work? Will I need a diode to prevent current flow back along the non-active pathway?

Thanks

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Using a single relay as in the last schematic, come off of the 85 relay terminal to the arm of a SPDT switch (which has a center "off" position). Wire one side of the SPDT switch directly to ground and the other side of the SPDT switch to ground via the thermostat. In one position, the fan will come on; in the other position, the fan will be controlled by the thermostat; and in the center position, the fan will always be off.
Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Using a single relay as in the last schematic, come off of the 85 relay terminal to the arm of a SPDT switch (which has a center "off" position). Wire one side of the SPDT switch directly to ground and the other side of the SPDT switch to ground via the thermostat. In one position, the fan will come on; in the other position, the fan will be controlled by the thermostat; and in the center position, the fan will always be off.
got a diagram? I'm not visualizing.
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

like this?
Unread 09-19-2011, 02:43 AM   #5
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That should work if you have a two wire thermostat.
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
That should work if you have a two wire thermostat.
Thanks! I'll give it a try.
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

btw..be aware that usually the mechanical action of a SPDT (single pole double throw) toggle switch is such that with the switch handle in the upper position there will be continuity between the center and lower switch terminals and with the switch handle in the lower position there will be continuity between the center and upper switch terminals. Not a big deal...just something to be aware of in case the switch action is opposite of what you intended. Let us know how things worked out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.