Check Gauge Light. Charging Issue.*HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Check Gauge Light. Charging Issue.*HELP

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
Toloben

Check Gauge Light. Charging Issue.*HELP

1997 Wrangler 2.5L 5 speed

One week ago I was driving home when the check gauges light turned on. My volt meter on the dash was at nothing. When I got home I turned the cars electric on with out cranking it. It read 12 volts. I pulled out my hand held volt meter tested the battery and it read 12 volts. I turned the car on the next day and put the volt meter to the battery again it reads 12 volts.. So I get the battery tested at pepboys. It's good. So I pull the alternator. Replace it. Fire it up again and I'm having the same issue. When I get to the end of my neighborhood the gauge turns on and it's not charging. Any ideas before I take it into a mechanic?*

Toloben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Have the battery Load Tested. Handheld battery testers are inaccurate.

Are all the battery/starter/alternator wire connections and wires in good condition ? All the connections and wires clean, tight and free of corrosion ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The battery should be 12.6 engine off and 14.4 engine running.

2X what TIM pointed to clean the terminals and all ground connections both sides.

EDIT!!! Check the wire from the alternator to the battery.
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

x3 on cleaning terminals and the likes.

Definitely do a LOAD test, not a voltmeter test. Most shops just test voltage.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Toloben

Had the bat load tested. Bats good.

But when using a hand held volt meter. I placed the positive to the positive of the alternator and the negative to the negative of the battery terminal. It has 7 volts coming out. Is that the correct load?

Going to clean all terminals today. Starter. Alternator. Battery.

If that fails then replace wires from bat to alt to starter.
Toloben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

There is a difference between checking voltage with a handheld meter and having a battery Load Tested. A load tester simulates the work load of starting on a cold day, and tests the batteries voltage, amperage, and reserve capacity under strain. If you battery losses one of its cells, it will still show 12 volts or more, but it will have difficulty starting an engine.

The starting/charing system is very simple, battery, alternator, starter, and wires. All of them have to be in good condition and correctly functioning. If the wires are loose or internally corroded, they will have high resistance and will not allow voltage/amperage to flow for charging or for starting.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator , charging , charging system , electrical system , voltage drop

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.