Cheap CBs - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Cheap CBs

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 07-26-2002, 06:58 AM   #16
Dan's YJ

Okay, I found out mines a Maxon. Ya, it's cheap, but it works great.

$80 for the whole package sounds really good. I'd def. look into that.

Dan's YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2002, 08:04 AM   #17
AllanAlxndr

I am going to call that CB Exchange today and see what he has to off. I went to Walmart last night but they had some Maxons and Unidens. Maxons were about 40 bucks and the Uniden was $80.

Thanks,
Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*6" of lift, (4" suspension, 2" body)*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*
*Pioneer DEH3500/CD deck*
*1800WATT Amp w/ Custom Box*
*2 - 8" Rockford Fosgate HEs*
*Cobra 18WXSTII w/ 4' Firestik Antenna*

Member of Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
AllanAlxndr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2002, 08:07 AM   #18
Dan's YJ

You can't beat that guys price in AZ.

If I had known that I wouldn't have bought the Maxon.
Unread 07-26-2002, 08:08 AM   #19
AllanAlxndr

For the antenna, I will need the spring, but will it mount in the antenna mount on the reigh rear corner of the Jeep...

Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*

Unread 07-26-2002, 08:12 AM   #20
Dan's YJ

That I don't know , I'd have to see a pic of the FirestickII. I'd think it would need a spring so it wouldn't break.

And yes, right rear is a good location.
Unread 07-26-2002, 08:15 AM   #21
AllanAlxndr

Cool, I think I will run it like this one that Someone posted earlier on this site...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ht=radio+mount

If you buy the Firestik Kit, it comes with a spring and a mount.
So what would everyone recommend for the antenna, Firestik or Firestik II.

Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*

Unread 07-26-2002, 08:34 AM   #22
Mels95YJ

Allan,

I agree that you should get spend your money on the antenna and coax. I bought a 4' Firestik II and 18' Firestik coax. I pretty much bought everything from Alf Enterprises

They were very helpful and cheap. I bought the spring, but mostly to add flexability. It did help with the SWR some. I bought the Tomken antenna mount from Quadratec that mounts to the tire bump stop. Then you have to buy an antenna mount. I think it was about $1.00 As far as running the coax, I drilled a hole into the side of the taillight and into the back of it. If you pull the plastic shroud down from below the rear corner of the jeep, that's where it comes out. I drilled a small hole into the rear fenderwell from inside the jeep. I just ran the cable through there and up to the cb. I mounted the cb to the front of the console, pointing up, and made it disconnectable so I can take it out at night to prevent theft. I put all the excess cable inside the fenderwell out of sight. If you'd like to see pics, I'll see if I can snap a couple for ya. HTH

I forgot to add that I have the Cobra 18WXST II with the front firing speaker. I don't think a speaker that's underneath would work attached to the console.

Mel

Last edited by Mels95YJ; 07-26-2002 at 08:36 AM..
Mels95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2002, 08:47 AM   #23
Mark K

Hey Allan,
Sure hope I remembered those prices right!!
and yep, I am a member at avjc... [Mark K] Had been to the web site browsin' a few times. After the Fire Relief Run those guys did, I figured these were my kind people!

Been watchin the 'trips' forum for one I can make... maybe I'll see ya on one
Good luck w/ the CB install, and let us know how it goes.

Mark K

Member of: [URL=http://www.azvjc.org/]Arizona Virtual Jeep Club[/URL]
Mark K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2002, 09:10 AM   #24
AllanAlxndr

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark K
Hey Allan,
Sure hope I remembered those prices right!!
and yep, I am a member at avjc... [Mark K] Had been to the web site browsin' a few times. After the Fire Relief Run those guys did, I figured these were my kind people!

Been watchin the 'trips' forum for one I can make... maybe I'll see ya on one
Good luck w/ the CB install, and let us know how it goes.

Mark K
I will keep you posted. That was also the #1 reason I joined. Thought that they were a great group of people to be around. I am going to try and make the Aug 17 Run to Crown King...

Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*

Unread 07-26-2002, 09:12 AM   #25
AllanAlxndr

Quote:
Originally posted by Mels95YJ
Allan,

I agree that you should get spend your money on the antenna and coax. I bought a 4' Firestik II and 18' Firestik coax. I pretty much bought everything from Alf Enterprises

They were very helpful and cheap. I bought the spring, but mostly to add flexability. It did help with the SWR some. I bought the Tomken antenna mount from Quadratec that mounts to the tire bump stop. Then you have to buy an antenna mount. I think it was about $1.00 As far as running the coax, I drilled a hole into the side of the taillight and into the back of it. If you pull the plastic shroud down from below the rear corner of the jeep, that's where it comes out. I drilled a small hole into the rear fenderwell from inside the jeep. I just ran the cable through there and up to the cb. I mounted the cb to the front of the console, pointing up, and made it disconnectable so I can take it out at night to prevent theft. I put all the excess cable inside the fenderwell out of sight. If you'd like to see pics, I'll see if I can snap a couple for ya. HTH

I forgot to add that I have the Cobra 18WXST II with the front firing speaker. I don't think a speaker that's underneath would work attached to the console.

Mel
What you have is the setup I am looking for... I want the front fire speaker. I would like to see some pics. if you could manage to get some for me... That would be awesome...

Thanks
Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*

Unread 07-27-2002, 07:11 PM   #26
Mels95YJ

Allan,

Here's the photos of my cb installation. I've tried to shoot everything that might be helpful. Like I said earlier, I bought everything except the Firestik antenna from Alf Enterprises

To make the coax easily disconnectable, you need to buy the quick disconnect (part #: QD259). If you have any questions, feel free to ask. HTH

My CB Install

Mel
Unread 07-27-2002, 07:16 PM   #27
AllanAlxndr

Hey, Thanks man. Could you give me a basic run down of how to hook it up and how everything mounts together( i.e. Coax to antenna, Antenna to mount. coax to radio) pretty much everything...

Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*

Unread 07-27-2002, 07:54 PM   #28
Mels95YJ

Well, I'll give it my best shot. Oh, first let me say that I had to buy a new end for one end of the coax. This is because I cut one end off so that it could fit through the holes I drilled. Otherwise, you'd have to drill a pretty big damn hole to get the PL-259 connector through it. Ok, here's a listing of the parts I bought:

SS-3H (Stainless Steel Heavy Duty Spring)
K-4A (Pro Stud Mount for screw-on PL-259)
T6-259 (PL-259 replacement connector) some soldering required
QD-259 (Quick disconnect for back of cb)
K-8A (18' Firestik coax cable)
Tomken bump stop antenna mount
Firestik II 4' antenna

Basically, drill the holes or figure out how to get the coax from the antenna to the inside. I just drilled a hole slightly larger than the coax. If you do like I did, drill a hole in one side of the taillight. You'll have to remove the taillight to drill into the back. There's a pretty big hole already for the taillight wires so just align it up. After running the cable through the holes, and you're totally sure you're happy with it, place new connector (T6-259) on and solder it up. If I can do it, anybody can. The stud mount is placed onto the Tomken holder. You just take off a nut, put through the top hole and replace the nut and tighten. The antenna spring went on top of the stud mount and the antenna went into the spring. Like I said, you don't need the spring, but it helped my SWR and gives it flexability. On the other end of the coax, screw the quick disconnect onto the PL-259. That's pretty much the coax install.

As far as the cb, this isn't probably the only way to do it, but this is how I did it. I bought a plug as seen in the first photo. It's pretty much one for hooking up a trailor's lights behind a vehicle. I was told it didn't matter which wire went to what as long as you've got both sides the same. I then just bought a spool of wire and connected up both sides. Just follow the instructions with the cb as far as hooking up to hot fuse, etc. I hope I didn't confuse ya more. It's honestly pretty simple. I'm far from being mechanically inclined, so I'm sure you can do just fine. The quick disconnect allows just pulling off and pushing on instead of screwing on and off. If I've confused ya or you have any other questions, just ask. Hell, I've probably made something simple sound incredibly difficult. HTH

Mel
Unread 07-27-2002, 08:00 PM   #29
AllanAlxndr

Its the whole type of Coax and the way it mounts to the antenna that I don't understand... I don't mean to be a pain in the butt and I appriciate all of the help, If you get a chance, can you take some pictures of the end of the coaz mounted to the antenna...

Thanks again.
Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*

Unread 07-28-2002, 07:10 PM   #30
Mels95YJ

You're not being a pain. The coax is RG58 for one antenna and RG59 for duals I think. The connector looks pretty much like the coax connector for your tv, only larger. I'll see if I can take some pics tomorrow evening for ya.

Mel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.