Charging/ignition issue on J10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Charging/ignition issue on J10

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
jason812

Charging/ignition issue on J10

Hopefully I put this in the right section & hopefully somebody can help me out.

I have an 82 J10 with a fuel injected 258 & T176 four speed. The battery went dead on it and one day after I jumped it off, the amp meter went to zero. I figured the altenator wasn't charging. I replaced the battery & had the altenator tested and it's good. I also replaced the starter selonoid on the fender well.

Now the issues...

Turn the key to the on position and nothing that should come on does. No radio, no fuel pump, heater motor, nothing. Jump it across the starter selonoid and it cranks up and runs just fine. The amp meter still shows zero. The wire coming out of the altenator and the ignition side of the starter selonoid shows 14.8. The battery shows 12.3 & at the batter side of the starter selonoid. While running, the radio works, heater motor, AC motor... Turn the key off and the truck dies just like its suppose to.

Is this just a bad ignition switch or is there a relay under the dash that could be bad or some other problem? I checked all the fuses and none of them are bad. I just want to know before I pull the steering wheel to replace the ignition switch.

jason812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
SirGCal

With a rig that age, there's lots of things it could be... You could do a continuity test on the starter switch though to see if that's working properly. But I'd be more apt to suspect the actual wiring. It's probably getting hard by now and cracking, forming some dead spots.

That or a deeper problem within the harness... Or possibly also, a bad ignition switch... Vehicles with age can have odd issues...

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
jason812

A burnt wire some where is what I'm dreading. I'm going to pull the steering wheel and ignition switch this weekend and hope that solves the problem.
Unread 06-21-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
jason812

I got it fixed. The wire that runs from the battery side of the selonoid to the ignition switch was corroded about an inch from the selonoid. Cut the bad part off and put a new end on the wire. Good as new.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.