Changing a power inverter switch - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-16-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
-OIIIIIIIO-01
Mall Rated

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Changing a power inverter switch

I would like to remove this push button style on/off switch. Relocate and replace it with a rocker style switch.

I have no ideal what kink of switch this is? I checked the solder points with a meter and get nothing? the unit does work, and power does come on when I turn the switch on?

I can not find schematics anywhere online.

Any help is much appreciated

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_04581111.jpg   IMG_0460111.jpg  

91 YJ 4.0/AX15/231J AA SYE/ Tom Woods CV
3.5" BDS Springs / .75" Booms / 1"BL
HP D30 /Akebono's /1 Ton GM Crossover Steering
Ford 8.8 / Trac loc LSD w/ disc brakes
35x12.5x16 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Walbro255 MetalCloaks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-16-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
-OIIIIIIIO-01
Mall Rated

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I pulled the board out, hope this helps.
Attached Images

Walbro255 MetalCloaks
post #3 of 12 Old 08-16-2017, 07:53 PM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

That looks like the Tyco 1571625-5 switch, as-shown in my IR Remote Switch topic.

Looking at the switch orientation in the bottom image. There should always be continuity from the top left to the top right. There should always be continuity from the bottom left to the bottom right. When the switch is depressed there should be continuity from either top to either bottom. The top to bottom continuity should go away when the switch is released.

The switch is a momentary contact switch.

It is not possible to remove that switch to replace w/ a rocker switch that has continuous open in one position and continuous closed in the other position, unless the main circuit board is reverse engineered and the switch logic is changed. It is probably impossible.

One option would be to replace that switch w/ a momentary contact toggle switch, swing the toggle for on, swing for off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
-OIIIIIIIO-01
Mall Rated

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
That looks like the Tyco 1571625-5 switch, as-shown in my IR Remote Switch topic.

Looking at the switch orientation in the bottom image. There should always be continuity from the top left to the top right. There should always be continuity from the bottom left to the bottom right. When the switch is depressed there should be continuity from either top to either bottom. The top to bottom continuity should go away when the switch is released.

The switch is a momentary contact switch.

It is not possible to remove that switch to replace w/ a rocker switch that has continuous open in one position and continuous closed in the other position, unless the main circuit board is reverse engineered and the switch logic is changed. It is probably impossible.

One option would be to replace that switch w/ a momentary contact toggle switch, swing the toggle for on, swing for off.
Yup, I did a ton of research last night and found that it is a Tactile switch, and the only way to change switch types is to reprogram the logic. I read something about a J/K flip flop?

Would this work as you suggested? If not do you have one you can suggest?

http://www.aironboard.com/online/roc...momentary.html

Thank you for your help on this.

Walbro255 MetalCloaks
post #5 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
-OIIIIIIIO-01
Mall Rated

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I also changed my meter setting from 50V to 10V (old school non digital) and was able to get readings.

So unit powered off, no power anywhere.

Unit powered on, I get 4V on solder point "C" and "D" and 0V on "A" and "B"
If I bridge points "B" and "D" the unit will power off.
I cannot bridge any of the points to make the unit come on.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0464.jpg  

Walbro255 MetalCloaks
post #6 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 07:49 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -OIIIIIIIO-01 View Post

Thank you for your help on this.
You are welcome. The linked switch will permit turning on/off by pressing the top by or by pressing the top or the bottom, depending on how the rear is wired.

This switch w/ this actuator will work.

Quote:
Unit powered on, I get 4V on solder point "C" and "D" and 0V on "A" and "B"
If I bridge points "B" and "D" the unit will power off.
I cannot bridge any of the points to make the unit come on.
A momentary connection on B and D should cause the unit to transition state, to power on or off.

Is the unit working properly? Does the meter read continuity from B to D (low Ohm measurement) w/ no power to the unit and the switch depressed and held?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
-OIIIIIIIO-01
Mall Rated

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A momentary connection on B and D should cause the unit to transition state, to power on or off.
I'll try with a piece of wire later today after work (and not my meter prongs)

Quote:
Is the unit working properly?
Its brand new out of the box, but will test with some electronics later today.

Quote:
Does the meter read continuity from B to D (low Ohm measurement) w/ no power to the unit and the switch depressed and held?

I'll post results later today.

Walbro255 MetalCloaks
post #8 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 08:27 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Yup, I did a ton of research last night and found that it is a Tactile switch, and the only way to change switch types is to reprogram the logic. I read something about a J/K flip flop?

The unit already has something internal acting like a flip flop.

This switch w/ this actuator will work. My suggestion would be a switch listed as (ON)/OFF.

It is possible that changing from the existing momentary contact switch to a different switch could cause problems. Activating a switch doesn't cause a clean change of state, from open to closed, or from closed to open. Instead, there is a string of open / closed connections that initially happen at every switch actuation, before the switch settles down to the expected state. That expected contact bounce is handled by the device, w/ logic or w/ a debounce chip.

Changing the switch will also change the amount of time that contact bounce happens. If the new switch has contact bounce significantly longer than the original switch, then the device might not perform as expected. Contact bounce time is never specified for a switch, it is measured experimentally, usually w/ an oscilloscope and a pile of switches during new product design. A safety factor of 2X to 10X is then applied to the sample measurement for contact bounce safety margin.

There are integrated circuit IC chips that perform this debounce function that could be added, if required.

post #9 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
-OIIIIIIIO-01
Mall Rated

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Using a jumper wire I was able to power the unit on, and then off with a momentary connection.

Quote:
Is the unit working properly?
Yes, I plugged in a corded Bluetooth speaker and played music (Non battery speaker, corded power only)

Quote:
Does the meter read continuity from B to D (low Ohm measurement) w/ no power to the unit and the switch depressed and held?
I did not do this test, I assumed that since the 1st test was good (jumper wire test) you did not need this info? I will get it if you need it.

Thank you again!

Walbro255 MetalCloaks
post #10 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 03:22 PM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

No, I have enough information, carry on.

Note that for the proposed modification the switch can remain in-place in the existing location. Just carefully solder small gauge lead wires onto the through hole ribbon cable wire leads in the top right corner of the image. Use 24 AWG or smaller.

post #11 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
-OIIIIIIIO-01
Mall Rated

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Note that for the proposed modification the switch can remain in-place in the existing location. Just carefully solder small gauge lead wires onto the through hole ribbon cable wire leads in the top right corner of the image. Use 24 AWG or smaller.
I like the ideal of keeping the factory switch in place. I was looking where the ribbon wire solders to the board and I think its a little tight for my soldering skills. Can I just attach wire to solder point "B" and "D", and then run it to the new switch?

Quote:
Is it possible to use the momentary rocker listed below? I know its a double throw and the bottom would be useless and not used. But, It would match the rest of the switches on the panel. I will use the one you listed if need be though.

Walbro255 MetalCloaks
post #12 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 05:43 PM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
I like the ideal of keeping the factory switch in place. I was looking where the ribbon wire solders to the board and I think its a little tight for my soldering skills. Can I just attach wire to solder point "B" and "D", and then run it to the new switch?
Yes one switch wire goes to A or B and the other goes to C or D.

For this work, soldering skills are important, but so is a very fine tip on the iron. Also, a tip that has not been abused, has always been kept tinned and shut off when not in-use.

Don't forget to use a very small gauge wire. For attachment to the existing SMT switch, 30 AWG wire is a good choice.

Quote:
Is it possible to use the momentary rocker listed below? I know its a double throw and the bottom would be useless and not used. But, It would match the rest of the switches on the panel. I will use the one you listed if need be though.

Yes, that switch will work. (The same switch bounce concern exists with this switch.)

It is possible to wire the switch so that pressing either momentary position will toggle the state of the inverter.

If I were doing this, then I would plug-in a small 120VAC input 12VDC output wall wart power supply into the inverter, so when it is turned on then the 12VDC output from the inverter would provide illumination power to the rocker switch 12VDC indicator lamp.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.