Changed relay, fuse, and resistor - NO FAN - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Changed relay, fuse, and resistor - NO FAN

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-19-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
tutelo161

Changed relay, fuse, and resistor - NO FAN

My fan on 2002 Liberty stopped working instantly - no burning smell or switch failure. I changed fuse, relay under hood, and resistor behind glove box.
Still dont have a fan 1,2,3,4 do not work - ANY IDEAS ????

tutelo161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
SirGCal

Are you talking about the AC/Heat fan? You might have a very common problem with your AC/Heat switch... See examples here:

http://www.sirgcal.com/jeep/pics.html?section=ac_repair

I'd get a DMM and start checking those wires to see where power stops flowing.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you changed the resistor pack and relay but the fan still doesn't work on any speed, it's either the fan motor itself, the fan switch, or the cable harness. I lost all but my fan's high speed years ago and it was a combination of a burned wiring harness and blown resistor pack.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
tutelo161

fan works now

I discovered if you unhhook the battery for 30 minutes after changing resistor packs and relays - the computer will reset and the blower fan will work - I had done this when changing out parts to prevent airbag deploy but I was only unhooked for about 5 minutes.
tutelo161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutelo161 View Post
I discovered if you unhhook the battery for 30 minutes after changing resistor packs and relays - the computer will reset and the blower fan will work - I had done this when changing out parts to prevent airbag deploy but I was only unhooked for about 5 minutes.
That would only be a possibility if it was like a climate controlled GC unit. The TJs, etc. have no computer controlling system for the fan what so ever. If that was the case, it was coincidence, nothing more. A climate controlled system might have some computer interface but I do not have the FSMs for any grands.. So I can't say for sure.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.