center console sub to non-subwoofer console? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > center console sub to non-subwoofer console?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 11-18-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
glook
2002 TJ Wrangler 

center console sub to non-subwoofer console?

I've got a TJ without a factory center console, but I want to install a subwoofer. Rear seat enclosures are great, but most of the time I drive without my rear seat. I tried to find a used center console to mount a sub in it, but with no luck. Now I'm trying to order a new center console, but I'm confused with their part numbers. What are the differences between the factory sub and basic consoles? Can I fit a 8" sub in a basic (w/o a subwoofer) console?

Unread 11-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Both have the same exterior dimensions however when you open the lid what you see will be different. Inside the subwoofer console is a black tray for cds and only about the depth of a cd. In the non sub console there is a big white bucket that will fit a small backpack, netbook, or your lady's purse. Either one could be used for adding a subwoofer you may need to make changes to the sub model (cd tray) you WILL need to make changes to the non-sub model (bucket).

When I ditched my factory sub (which I had upgraded) I replaced the whole console b/c I wanted the non-sub unit for storage. Ordered from jparts.com and got a nice price.

Now that we're a few model years beyond TJs you should be able to find a console on ebay...make sure to get the one for your year as they evolved over the years (cupholder section).

Center console sub enclosure instruction thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/8...inside-257123/
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
glook
2002 TJ Wrangler 

gily25,
Thanks for the info. I don't mind cutting a few holes in a non-subwofer console since the price difference is $210 for the non-sub version vs $620 for the subwoofer version. jparts.com don't do international shipping, and no consoles with international shipping on ebay currently...
I did a little research on wrangler consoles and found some part numbers. Obviously, there are more differences such as passenger airbag on/off switch, but I don't have any source of info on this subject. Funny enough, the part numbers for consoles as "Accessorities" are different from the partnumbers of "Parts".
Here are the partnumbers for "Parts":

1997-1998
(One-piece mini consoles with one cupholder, one-piece full consoles w/2 cupholders)

Mini
- (agate) 5DT85 TAZ

Full
- (gray) 5FW35 RC3AA
- (saddle) 5FW35 RT6AA

1999-2000
Mini
- (agate) SJ86 1AZAA

Full
- (agate) SJ87 1AZAA
- (tan/agate) SJ87 1K5AA

(2-piece mini consoles with 2 cupholders, two-piece full consoles)

Mini (or forward piece of full)
- (AZ) 5HF13 LAZAB
- (KG) 5HF13 RK5AB

Full
- (AZ) 5HE62 LAZAC (w/o sub)
- (KG) 5HE62 RK5AA (w/o sub)
- (K5,KG) WS46 RK5AA (w/sub)
- (AZ) 5HE62 LAZAA (w/sub)

Mini
- (AZ) 5HF13 LAZAC
- (K5/KG) 5HF13 RK5AC

Full
- (AZ) 5HE62 LAZAD (w/o sub)
- (K5/KG) 5HE62 RK5AD (w/o sub)
- (AZ) WS46 LAZAA (w/sub)
- (K5/KG) WS46 RK5AA (w/sub)

2003-2004
Mini
- (DV) 5HF13 XDVAC
- (J3) 5HF13 ZJ3AC

Full
- (DV) 5HE62 XDVAD (w/o sub) (5HE62 XDVAE in 2004)
- (J3) 5HE62 ZJ3AD (w/o sub) (5HE62 ZJ3AE in 2004)
- (DV) WS46 XDVAB (w/sub)
- (J3) WS46 ZJ3AB (w/sub)

2005-2006 I'm confused with the part numbers...
Unread 11-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I couldn't tell you on the parts numbers. Maybe if you called a dealership they could help you with it.

I didn't see before you needed international shipping. Try www.jeepsareus.com they may be willing to ship international and also try www.tuffyproducts.com which is a security center console. Worst to worse I think www.quadratec.com and www.4wd.com have international shipping for a fee...you may need to call their customer service to find out for sure.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.