Center console Sub box? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Center console Sub box?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-17-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
Hpdrifter

Center console Sub box?

I just noticed that an option in TJ's was to have a premium sound system consisting of a Sub in the center console. I'd like to mount my own sub there and was wondering if anyone knows of a company or place that sells an empty enclosure that you can put a sub speaker in? I found on ebay a replacement one with and amp and speaker for 310.00. I'd just like to buy the empty box anyone have any ideas?

[B]2001 Wrangler Sport[/B]. 4.0L, 5 speed, Air, CD, Cruise, Hard & Soft Top, Sound Bar, [B]mods [/B] 2'' BB, 1" daystar BL, skyjacker nittos, 33 x 12.5's on M/T classic II's. Bushwacker fender flares, Mirror relocation brackets, Brush guard, Iggy seat covers, wheel skins wheel cover, Magellan Roadmate 760 GPS, Alpine CDA-9856, Infinity reference standard speakers, and Sirius...of course!

[I]"Putting NOS in your vette is like meeting a hot chick with an STD, you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences!"[/I]

[COLOR=Yellow][B]Yellow Jeep Member # 17[/B][/COLOR]

[B]2004 Mystic Blue BMW 530i[/B]. Biege Leather, Sport package, Auto, Rear spoiler, Premium package, xenons!

1988 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer............ Sold!
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado....Sold!
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited...Sold!
Hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
RubiconSS

The sub in the center console isn't that great an option. Can you let us know a little more about what you'd like to accomplish.
Unread 04-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #3
02tjsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

you can make your own box to fit inside the console.
'02 TJ Sport - 3.5" RE Springs/Mono-tubes; BFG A/T 33x12.50x15 on ProComp Black Steelies; JKS: BPE's, 1.25" BL, shock conversion, front Adj. TB's, quick discos, Extended Brake lines; FT 3-link rear; JCR 1-ton Steering; Warn 6" Flares; Olympic Slider Bumpers; OME SS; Taurus Electric Fan; 4.88 Gears; D30/D44 Detroit True-Trac Front/Rear;
02tjsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2006, 08:58 AM   #4
RubiconSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tjsport
you can make your own box to fit inside the console.
Fit a sub box inside the center console? Using all the available space of a center console nets you a 6.5" driver. Not sure how you can fit a sub box inside the center console.
The space behind the rear seat or SirG's "inside the rear seat" are the best options.
Unread 04-18-2006, 09:32 AM   #5
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconSS
Fit a sub box inside the center console? Using all the available space of a center console nets you a 6.5" driver. Not sure how you can fit a sub box inside the center console.
The space behind the rear seat or SirG's "inside the rear seat" are the best options.
I agree that behind the seat or in the seat (I did the second for a while) is the best option for bass, it is possible to put a sub in the center console if you are hell-bent on saving space. I did it.

That's an 8" sub in there.
See the entire build in this thread-
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/8-sub-console-project-pics-inside-257123/
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
SirGCal

Yea, center console boxes work ok. You can shoe-horn a nice 8" in there if you're careful. Too directional for me but not bad... They do have a nice presence since they are right next to you. But you sacrafice some wave development. Really, all of the 'bad' things I'm listing don't really matter in a noisy TJ anyhow... So if that's what your after, go for it. It is a good solution if you're willing to give up your console storage.

The factory option though, if that's what you're referring to, is only a 6" with a small amp. Very non-impressive. But again, if that's all the sound you're looking for, they do work fine.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2006, 10:58 AM   #7
RubiconSS

Having a sub in the center console is possible (obviously because that is what the "premium sound 7 speaker option does) I was referancing the "build a box to fit in the console".
The stock 6" or the possible 8" are still firing the Bass right into your hip (not my idea of fun)

The possibilities for in the seat or behind the seat are many more than they used to be (thanks to this Forum).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.