CD skips...HELP ME - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > CD skips...HELP ME

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-29-2002, 06:54 AM   #1
Bigtone911

CD skips...HELP ME

Hey guys...

I am a new Jeep owner, and the Jeep came with a AM/FM stereo...I quickly made the move to CD and much to my dismay...the thing skips without fail and WAY to often.

I put a low end CD player in there...cause I didn't want it to get stolen...but the people who put it in are suggesting that I go with a much more expensive radio.

WILL IT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE?

How have other Jeep owners fixed your CD needs.

Bigtone911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 10:21 AM   #2
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

Most of the less expensive head unit's do tend to skip alot. I put a Kenwood in my '90 YJ, don't remember what exact model, but I paid about$230 for it at Circuit City and I never had a problem with it skipping offroad or on road, except when it fell out of the dash , but that's another story. I don't think you need to spend $500 for something that $250 will do.
Unread 09-30-2002, 01:35 PM   #3
FloridaXJ

Go Alpine

Usually around $200 is the average price for a CD player that will give you playback without skipping. I know that Alpine has one of the best antiskip shock systems on the market. They use 4 ( one at each corner) oil filled sacs instead of springs or rubber. Plus its the best brand that you can buy. They have them starting around $199 at Circuit Citys.
Unread 10-01-2002, 04:03 AM   #4
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

I am not sure what it is called but there used to be a feature called "Read A-Head Memory" or something like that.
It allowed the CD Player to read a head and if a bump was hit you wouldn't hear the skip, because you would really be listening to the memory playback not directly to the CD.
Is that confusing , I used to see the spec on this feature but I am unable to locate anything now.
Look for it or something like it, and get the largest you can find, this will help a lot with the skip thing.

And yes, the lower priced models probably do not have anything and skip a lot more.

Good Luck,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 04:09 AM   #5
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Bigtone911,

How is the CD skipping thing going ?

Did you change it or just going to live with it?

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.