CD skips...HELP ME - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > CD skips...HELP ME

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrieStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-29-2002, 07:54 AM   #1
Bigtone911

CD skips...HELP ME

Hey guys...

I am a new Jeep owner, and the Jeep came with a AM/FM stereo...I quickly made the move to CD and much to my dismay...the thing skips without fail and WAY to often.

I put a low end CD player in there...cause I didn't want it to get stolen...but the people who put it in are suggesting that I go with a much more expensive radio.

WILL IT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE?

How have other Jeep owners fixed your CD needs.

Bigtone911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2002, 11:21 AM   #2
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

Most of the less expensive head unit's do tend to skip alot. I put a Kenwood in my '90 YJ, don't remember what exact model, but I paid about$230 for it at Circuit City and I never had a problem with it skipping offroad or on road, except when it fell out of the dash , but that's another story. I don't think you need to spend $500 for something that $250 will do.
Unread 09-30-2002, 02:35 PM   #3
FloridaXJ

Go Alpine

Usually around $200 is the average price for a CD player that will give you playback without skipping. I know that Alpine has one of the best antiskip shock systems on the market. They use 4 ( one at each corner) oil filled sacs instead of springs or rubber. Plus its the best brand that you can buy. They have them starting around $199 at Circuit Citys.
Unread 10-01-2002, 05:03 AM   #4
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

I am not sure what it is called but there used to be a feature called "Read A-Head Memory" or something like that.
It allowed the CD Player to read a head and if a bump was hit you wouldn't hear the skip, because you would really be listening to the memory playback not directly to the CD.
Is that confusing , I used to see the spec on this feature but I am unable to locate anything now.
Look for it or something like it, and get the largest you can find, this will help a lot with the skip thing.

And yes, the lower priced models probably do not have anything and skip a lot more.

Good Luck,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 05:09 AM   #5
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Bigtone911,

How is the CD skipping thing going ?

Did you change it or just going to live with it?

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.