CB vs 2m... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > CB vs 2m...

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wi

Unread 05-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

CB vs 2m...

I can't believe I'm posting this because I can't believe there are so many threads about "my CB don't work or have any range" ect ect. Why are people still using AM radios with 4w output that if your lucky on a good day might get you to the lead vehicle on the trail IF your not surrounded by trees. You have to deal with static, crappy range and skip from god knows where that could drown out the people your trying to talk to. 2m don't have the issues with alternator whine like CB's do and are much more tolerant of a less than perfect install and you only hear the group your with.

A 2m hand held will have more than double the range of the CB with the same 4w output. Don't say it's the cost either...I can get a new 2m mobile rig for right about the same price as what they want for a 29 Classic NW LTD and they have at least 25w output and most are 50-70w.

Oh wait you need a license for 2m...yeah you do but it's super easy to get now with the new classes they have come out with and you don't need to know code to pass anymore. Spend a few weekends studying and take the test to get your ticket.

I still wonder why people are still using CB's when there are so much better ways of communicating today than technology that basically hasn't changed in the past 30 years. Only reason I have one in my rig is because it's a "requirement" for the club runs. Luckily most of the guys I run with have 2m and we don't even turn on the CB's when we go out. I think it's time we move out of the stone age with our communications and to something that might actually be able to reach out to someone outside of your group if you need help.

I was on the trail in range of a repeater with IRLP and while I could hear some of the group trying to talk to each other on the CB I dialed up the node for Australia and had a nice chat with a guy in Brisbane, just like he was sitting next to me with no static.

Rant over for now...

l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowdogMarc View Post
....wonder why people are still using CB's when there are so much better ways of communicating today than technology that basically hasn't changed in the past 30 years.

Simple, CB is cheap, reliable, and when correctly installed has an adequate range of up to 3 miles. The other benefit is if you look at 100 4x4 trail rigs, only a handful will have a Ham rig, will 98% of the others will have a CB.

Operator Error by incorrect installation of the antenna is the main cause of CB problems.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I can't believe I'm posting this because I can't believe there are so many threads about "my CB don't work or have any range" ect ect. Why are people still using AM radios with 4w output that if your lucky on a good day might get you to the lead vehicle on the trail IF your not surrounded by trees. You have to deal with static, crappy range and skip from god knows where that could drown out the people your trying to talk to. 2m don't have the issues with alternator whine like CB's do and are much more tolerant of a less than perfect install and you only hear the group your with.

A 2m hand held will have more than double the range of the CB with the same 4w output. Don't say it's the cost either...I can get a new 2m mobile rig for right about the same price as what they want for a 29 Classic NW LTD and they have at least 25w output and most are 50-70w.

Oh wait you need a license for 2m...yeah you do but it's super easy to get now with the new classes they have come out with and you don't need to know code to pass anymore. Spend a few weekends studying and take the test to get your ticket.

I still wonder why people are still using CB's when there are so much better ways of communicating today than technology that basically hasn't changed in the past 30 years. Only reason I have one in my rig is because it's a "requirement" for the club runs. Luckily most of the guys I run with have 2m and we don't even turn on the CB's when we go out. I think it's time we move out of the stone age with our communications and to something that might actually be able to reach out to someone outside of your group if you need help.

I was on the trail in range of a repeater with IRLP and while I could hear some of the group trying to talk to each other on the CB I dialed up the node for Australia and had a nice chat with a guy in Brisbane, just like he was sitting next to me with no static.

Rant over for now...
I got into off roading to off road, not communicate long distances. There is no question what you are speaking about is a much better option but the CB seems to be the standard.

If other I wheeled with used 2m so would I. There have been times when we broke of the group because of a trail fix or a set of people wanting to run one trail then the others. Linking back up can be a PIA and a better radio would help with this.

Here is one for $140.00. Do they need a different antenna than a CB? Do you tune them the same way?
http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?a...FfE7Mgod2EkATw

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I got into off roading to off road, not communicate long distances. There is no question what you are speaking about is a much better option but the CB seems to be the standard.

If other I wheeled with used 2m so would I. There have been times when we broke of the group because of a trail fix or a set of people wanting to run one trail then the others. Linking back up can be a PIA and a better radio would help with this.

Here is one for $140.00. Do they need a different antenna than a CB? Do you tune them the same way?
Thanks for the link. They do use a different antenna than a CB, depending on the antenna you just use the cutting chart that comes with it to trim it to the desired freq range and install. You can use 2' or 15' of coax and other than trimming the antenna like I said your done.
I've been on a trail with a group with a lot of switchbacks and elevation changes and trees. I was at the front of the group and by the time we got to the 3rd switchback we lost comms with the back of the pack with the CB and this was only 10 min into the run. I called the tail gunner on the 2m and could hear him with no problems.
At 140 bucks which even for a basic CB getting close to that price there is no comparison. A simple 2m antenna is about 30-40 bucks, it's a small whip (40") for mine and it's mounted on my front fender for the last 3 years with no problems even after many trees have had a shot at it.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

Unread 05-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Simple, CB is cheap, reliable, and when correctly installed has an adequate range of up to 3 miles. The other benefit is if you look at 100 4x4 trail rigs, only a handful will have a Ham rig, will 98% of the others will have a CB.

Operator Error by incorrect installation of the antenna is the main cause of CB problems.
If you see the link in the other post you will see a quality 2m rig can be had for under 150 bucks and that's new, you can find a good used one for even less. CB only have that range under ideal conditions, look in my post and you will see with only about 100 yards and a few hundred feet of elevation the CB was useless in the bush. As for 98% of rigs not having them, up here most of the rigs DO have them and at least one of the clubs is thinking of making 2m the standard due to the increased range and reliability of them.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

Unread 05-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I installed my first mobile CB in 1978 and my first base station soon after. Even a simple volume and squelch CB should have a minimum of 2-3 miles of range. Anything less in range is operator error.

Yes, 2m is superior to CB, but cheap $5-20 CB's are still easy to find, and most people will not study to pass the license exam.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Rant over for now...
You sound like one of those snob-type hams who looks down their nose at CB. I have a General class ham license, a big HF rig at home and a 2m radio in my Jeep. That said, I use my CB when offroad 99 times for every single time I use my 2m in my Jeep.

Unless you live and wheel in flat terrain, a simplex 2m radio isn't going to have much range. Not even with 75 watts as my Yaseau FT2900 has. My terrain is rocky & mountainous enough that 2m simplex is pretty useless for trying to get out. Ok so you say to use a repeater. Sure there are repeaters in some areas but there aren't repeaters everywhere I wheel. Not to mention probably only 1% of the Jeepers that offroad have ham licenses & 2m radios in their Jeeps but probably 90%+ wheelers have CBs which work fine for at least several miles.

You may sneer at CB radios as some hams do but for an offroader, a CB is a nice, cheap, and effective way to communicate. Simple, gets out well, most offroaders have them, and they're cheap to install and get working.

And 4 watts is plenty... ever heard of what distances ham QRP enthusiasts can do with low power levels? And if you don't like skip, stay off the ham HF bands too.

N6TAY

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
You sound like one of those snob-type hams who looks down their nose at CB. I have a General class ham license, a big HF rig at home and a 2m radio in my Jeep. That said, I use my CB when offroad 99 times for every single time I use my 2m in my Jeep.

Unless you live and wheel in flat terrain, a simplex 2m radio isn't going to have much range. Not even with 75 watts as my Yaseau FT2900 has. My terrain is rocky & mountainous enough that 2m simplex is pretty useless for trying to get out. Ok so you say to use a repeater. Sure there are repeaters in some areas but there aren't repeaters everywhere I wheel. Not to mention probably only 1% of the Jeepers that offroad have ham licenses & 2m radios in their Jeeps but probably 90%+ wheelers have CBs which work fine for at least several miles.

You may sneer at CB radios as some hams do but for an offroader, a CB is a nice, cheap, and effective way to communicate. Simple, gets out well, most offroaders have them, and they're cheap to install and get working.

And 4 watts is plenty... ever heard of what distances ham QRP enthusiasts can do with low power levels? And if you don't like skip, stay off the ham HF bands too.

N6TAY
I've never really liked CB's even when I was a kid back in the 80's...As far as Snob type hams...I've only had my Basic + ticket for about 3 years now and run a simple Kenwood TS-950 barefoot and G5RV antenna. I've made contacts into Siberia with only 100w and as much as I'd like an amp I find it more of a challenge to make the contacts barefoot instead of 1500w+ that scatters the signal + - 10k up and down the bands. I think you missed the part of my thread where I said the CB even properly matched and tuned in both vehicles don't make it through the terrain we have up here. I've made simplex contacts with another group I was wheeling with no problems but couldn't hear them on CB and I'm running the 108" whip which is a topic I won't stir up.
I love the HF bands as you can usually make contact with anyone you can hear but when your picking up someone from Guatemala with an amp on your CB good luck. QRP is fun as well but conditions have to be right and hopefully the idiot contesting stations that walk all over everyone to get in are not on freq. I do love it when I'm trying to make a contact with someone and one of the said idiots is walking all over everyone and the DX OP is ignoring them and going for the weakest signal I've even heard one tell them to be quiet by there call sign and work several other stations before acknowledging them.

My main point is technology has advanced so much in the past 30 years and prices have dropped, so why stick with static and all the other quirks of a CB when 2m provides a much better signal. Kinda like saying I'll stick to my pocket compass instead of a GPS for my primary navigation...notice I said primary and not only source.
I run a Icom V-8000 in my rig but I'm looking at a Yaesu 857d to replace it with any luck this year.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

Unread 05-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well you either ignored or missed my points, it is clear you are just too in love with ham radio to actually get my points.

I love my ham radio too but a 2m rig is not the perfect offroad radio either. Having both in my TJ, 2m and CB, I use the one that works the best & MOST of the time, my CB works better. Rarely do I encounter conditions where I need my 2m and that is normally only with organized events where a repeater has been set up on a local mountain top. In the uneven mountainous terrain I wheel in which usually doesn't have a repeater within 50 miles, the line-of-sight VHF 2m signal just can't get through the mountains but my HF CB can. I have more reliable communications in such terrain than my 2m can provide. So if you live where it's flat, fine, a 2m will work fine... but without a close-by repeater, it won't in non-flat terrain that many of us offroaders happen to enjoy wheeling in.

As a long-term active ham, I run into a lot of ham-snobs that just refuse to listen why CB is more popular offroad. 2m has its place, which is why I have a 2m in my Jeep, but for you to try to tell long-term offroaders their CBs don't work as well as 2m is just plain false. If my 2m rig worked better offroad in all situations than my CB does, I'd sure as hell use it instead.

In other words, I'm not so enamored by my general class ham radio license that I can't see the benefits of CB for most offroading needs.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
RARECJ8

In the jeep i use a dual band ft8800 and when on foot a ft60, both from yaesu. Its fun to sit around the camp fire in rubicon springs and using cross-band repeat check into the daily ARES net in our home town 60+ miles away. We do a LOT of desert travel and find in the wide open valleys and mountains in nevada can regularly work 2m simplex other stations over 100 miles one way. VFH line of sight between point and drag is sometimes stretched out to 8 or 10 miles on runs. No go with CB but the VHF? no problem. Add APRS so the WWW can join the fun. We just had testing last w/e and 8 more club members are in. On all organized trail runs the point and drag rigs are 2m equipped. It is almost universal when we stop for a break and the CB guy in front of the drag cannot hear the point rig on CB. Hey buddy, check this out. come over here and --wow! point/drag in full communications when he cannot hear point rig testing with his CB. These drivers are the ones immediately to see the light and get licensed as soon as possible. Sure they keep the CB as well, but given the steady trend to move to ham, most end up removing the cb as it just takes up space.

To each his own, but for long distance, reliable communication, like our many trips into the black rock desert a 50 watt 2m is a priceless tool, especially when one may need to make a phone call thru the auto patch feature or get get emergency help via an IRLP node. Nice in the back country where cell is no good and CB will let you talk, what? 3 miles. Trail chatter aside, as an emergency trail tool it is priceless.

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com

Last edited by RARECJ8; 05-06-2013 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: typos
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I am in the woods allot, lots of varying terrain. Would a 2m help much in this type of situation? Is there a map of some sort that tells you where the repeaters are?

Unread 05-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
RARECJ8

here is a start ross
http://www.missourirepeater.org/database/

or open the directory tab on left and enter your area and see. if ur near a state line, may be other machines on the other side for open use

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
here is a start ross
http://www.missourirepeater.org/database/

or open the directory tab on left and enter your area and see. if ur near a state line, may be other machines on the other side for open use
Thanks

Unread 05-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #14
OhSixTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross

I have that radio. Different antenna, same tuning procedure.
OhSixTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.