CB tuning, what am i doing wrong? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > CB tuning, what am i doing wrong?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 02-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
doclouie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

CB tuning, what am i doing wrong?

So I am running the fire-ring 18' cable and I made sure with my ohmmeter that the middle antenna pin is isolated from the ground with the plastic pieces on the top and bottom in the mount. The antenna base is the one that is made by Teraflex and goes behind the rear driver turn signal. The base is grounded properly as I checked it also with my ohmmeter. I went out to tune the 2' firestick II antenna in a field with the nearest anything is a good 150 yards and the best I can get on my SWR meter is around a 3. I did have extra wire from the 18' cable and I just coiled it up rather than run it all around the Jeep. Is that bad? The wire runs along the driver side of the Jeep until it gets to the driver's seat and then it runs under the console and out where the e-brake handle is. Any type of help would be appreciated as I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

Unread 02-01-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

With the antenna assembled, What is the resistance from the outer shield at the mount to the body not the frame. And resistance from shield to tip?
Unread 02-02-2014, 07:35 AM   #3
FIRECAPT
2010 JK Wrangler 

What length antenna are you using. I struggled with this for a while with a 3ft firestick. I switch to a 4ft and it solved instantly.
FIRECAPT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

That is probably the best SWR you can achieve with a short antenna, and the mounting location you have chosen.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
gadogs

Don't coil the coax cable up.... if u wind it up in a circle it chokes ur swrs. Best the u do if u have extra cable is to run it side to side and not in a circle postion. Try that and it should fix ur swrs. It also don't hurt to run a ground wire from one of the bolts on ur mount to make sure u have a good ground on the antenna.... high swrs = short range talking and poss burnt up cb
gadogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
doclouie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Resistance to the outer part of the cable to the frame or the body is the same at 4.8. I changed the coiling of the wire to run it back and forth rather than in a circle.
Unread 02-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
doclouie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNinPA
With the antenna assembled, What is the resistance from the outer shield at the mount to the body not the frame. And resistance from shield to tip?
What do you mean by resistance from shield to tip?
Unread 02-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

First you could use and tune a 2 ft antenna to good SWR values and you may even achieve 1.1:1. I have, it is just finer tuning on the shorter antenna than long. SWR of 3 is unacceptable.

Second the 4.8 resistance from outer shield to ground is a bit high. Look to improve the contact of the outer shield &mount a the antenna. But first do you measure any resistance fron the antenna tip to the outer shield?

For the above question. If you measure the resistance from the outer shield to the center conductor you should see an open. You could measure this a few ways, just be sure your antenna system is assembled ( like it may be already). Either at the radio remove the cable and measure the resistance between the outer shield and the center conductor. Or measure resistance from the antenna tip to the outer shield at the antenna mount.
Unread 02-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
doclouie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So I started a new thread about this problem with a lot more detail and pictures here.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/c.../#post19997201

Thanks for your help.
Unread 02-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #10
prerunner1982
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Coiling the coax wont hurt anything other than physically hurting the coax if it is wound too tight. Coiling the coax is called a choke, it is used to keep rf from traveling down the outside of the coax, wont hurt the signal inside it though.

1993 XJ Sport 2 door 4x4

Red Dirt Jeeps
prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
doclouie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It was not a small coil. Probably about 6" in diameter. I redid it without a coil just in case.
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #12
doclouie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have picked up a new coax cable and will try tuning it again tonight. Cross your fingers for me.
Unread 02-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #13
doclouie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did hook up a different CB and I ran a different coax cable to see if the current one had a problem. The SWR came back the same on channel 1 & channel 40, just above 3.0. I ordered a longer antenna so hopefully that will take care of the problem. I will let you know when it comes in. Thank you everyone for the help.
Unread 02-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #14
doclouie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Okay so I received my 3' firestik antenna and tuned it. I get a SWR of 2.5 on channel 1 & channel 40 with a SWR of 1.4 on channel 20. I am going to stick with this setup and call it good because I cannot fit a 4' firestik in my garage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.