Cb tuning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Cb tuning

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperCyber Sale on RUBICON EXPRESS - Short Arms, Long Arms, Tra

Unread 04-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
jrskihog
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cb tuning

I was trying to tune my cb and 1st how important is it to be in an open area as I don't have an area with at least 50 feet with no obstructions. 2nd every time I put the meter to set and key up on Chanel 1 and turn the calibration knob to get it to set and then change the switch to rec I seem to keep getting different readings. Sometimes it's 1.1 and other times it's 1.7. When I go to channel 40 and I have the meter in fwd and key up I have a difficult time getting it to the set point. The needle starts to move up and the goes full scale and if I turn the calibration knob more it goes all the way to 0 and then to 3 and then full scale. I can usually get it to the set point or close to it. Then when I flip forward to rec I get a reading of 1.8 sometimes but most of the time I get a reading of around 2.5. I removed the antenna and checked the for a clean surface for good contact for ground and resanded just to make sure. Is there something I am missing? I feel that the output reading should be contestant. I have a cobra 75wx cb and a 4ft fire stick II with a 3" spring.

Sent from my iPad in the middle of the woods

jrskihog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

First, just do all of your antenna tuning on ch 20. When it is at minimum SWR on 20 it will be as good as it'll get on 1 & 40 too.

Check the antenna mount's ground connection, it is critical to obtaining the lowest possible SWR. Are you using Firestik's Firering or conventional mount? Also, springs can make tuning an antenna more difficult in several ways, the least of which the spring makes the antenna electrically longer than can sometimes be tuned for.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
jrskihog
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks jerry
I am using the Arizona rocky road antenna mount fora single antenna. http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/antennamounts.html
I also checked channel 20 and had a difficult time getting to get like channel 40 and it was around 2.1 iirc. I have also heard about the spring being a problem also.

Sent from my iPad in the middle of the woods
jrskihog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

There is no detail on that page, photos of what the antenna is threaded into would help. I suspect your mount is inadequately grounded, the part attached to the Jeep requires a bare metal to bare metal connection.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.